z

Young Writers Society

Know Anything About Bookstores?

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm
Gheala says...

Hey guys! I'm writing a novel, where a bookstore is its main setting, but there are a lot of things I don't know about how bookstores work. Obviously, shopping in bookstores isn't the only experience I need -.-

So, I have some questions:
1-How do they scan the ISBN for the book? What's the procedures they take before they sell you the book? For example, what do they do to not make the metal detector buzz on your way out, with the books you bought?
2-Where do they get the books from? Is it factories, or is it publishing companies?
3-Are their certain dates they agree on with their vendors to send them the book loads?

>.> I know. Tiring questions, but I do need an answer. So, please, if you know anything about that topic, tell me whatever you can think of. I have many other questions and I'm about to tear my hair out.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

1-How do they scan the ISBN for the book? What's the procedures they take before they sell you the book? For example, what do they do to not make the metal detector buzz on your way out, with the books you bought?

Usually there's something either in the pages of a book or in the binding. They run books over a magnate to short circuit whatever they use. It's usually in the check out counters, so if you don't see them do anything it's because all they had to do was set the books down on a magnetic plate.

2-Where do they get the books from? Is it factories, or is it publishing companies?

Publishing companies send copies of their books to printers, who then sent the books to distributers, who then send it to bookstores.

3-Are their certain dates they agree on with their vendors to send them the book loads?

Most likely. Although, unless books are specially ordered, I don't think bookstores know what they're going to get.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:27 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

I work in one and have family which have as well. You need to be specific as to what type of Bookstore it is, it's important in how each question you've asked should be answered.

71 Reviews

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:46 pm
Gheala says...

Thanks, Rosey! You've seriously helped. I'm sorry, I have more questions... Some of them are probably stupid, but well, I really need to know.
1-Do you know how that magnetic plate looks like? Does it have a specific name?
2-Do they have lists of what books they've received and how many they are? Lists on computer or so?
3-And when someone buys a book, how is the deal recorded in their computer? Automatically, when they calculate the price at the counter, or they do other things?
4-How does the register works anyway? I mean, what program is the cashier guy using to record and calculate things?
5- If a new guy is accepted in the staff, what would he be in charge of? It's only a part time job, so do they give him only easy things to do, or what? In fact, what are all kinds of jobs can you get in a bookstore?

MrMustard, I'm not sure I've understood your question, but the store is a regular bookstore. Like Barnes and Nobles or maybe a smaller one.

Thanks, Rosyey!!
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 pm
Rosendorn says...

1-Do you know how that magnetic plate looks like? Does it have a specific name?

It looks like a silver metal square (about 1 foot squared) that's inset into the counter. I don't know its exact name, but it's usually referred to as a demagnatizer.

2-Do they have lists of what books they've received and how many they are? Lists on computer or so?

Yep. Stock and inventory are monitored on computer.

3-And when someone buys a book, how is the deal recorded in their computer? Automatically, when they calculate the price at the counter, or they do other things?

When they scan the book, it automatically records in the inventory.

4-How does the register works anyway? I mean, what program is the cashier guy using to record and calculate things?

I don't know what the name of the program is.

5- If a new guy is accepted in the staff, what would he be in charge of? It's only a part time job, so do they give him only easy things to do, or what? In fact, what are all kinds of jobs can you get in a bookstore?

He wouldn't be "in charge" of anything, persay. Just a part-time job wouldn't have any management possibility.

As for kinds of jobs, it depends on age. In Canada, you can't be at the cash register until you're 18 or 19. Other staff positions would be stocking shelves, "roaming" the store (basically walking around and asking people if they have questions). Those are the only two jobs I really know of at the retail level.

Also, time of year plays a huge roll in how many people are hired. Christmas sees a lot of people hired, and summer sees more jobs opening (usually) for students.

MrMustard, I'm not sure I've understood your question, but the store is a regular bookstore. Like Barnes and Nobles or maybe a smaller one.

I'm pretty sure he means if it's independent, part of a chain, and its general size (general size being if it's a "box store" or inside a mall)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

71 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:44 pm
Gheala says...

Thanks a lot! God, you're very helpful O.o I can actually write the new chapter tonight and I don't know how to thank you for that..
Hm..t's independent and it's a box store.
One more question and I won't bother you again. Sorry for bugging you!

--Stockroom clerks in bookstores use those handheld scanners to go over the newly brought merchandise in the stockroom to send the information of the books to the database in the computer. Now, which computer? To the computer they have in the stockroom? Or the one at the check-out counter? Or both?
--Should there a computer at the help desk? And if yes, what data does it have? I mean, does it have the same item list, to check whether or not you have the item your customer asked for?

Sorry. Two questions, not one.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:40 am
MeanMrMustard says...

There are computers everywhere that all communicate with a central mainframe, none of them are independent, but, what's different is how some are used. Some are switched permanently to one type of program, another is a register, etc. The name of the program is useless to you since you could get into legal problems with that. Also, some places use different programs.

Basically, one is for keeping track of inventory/orders/information about items. The other program is for registers. That's basically it (many computers are programmed and altered to use a handful of essential tasks and little else).

The computers in different places all simultaneously connect to both of these programs in reality, it's just that we open ones as we need, and some are simply accepted as the place to access one of the two. Say, you wouldn't use the register in the stockroom, loading dock, etc.

There should be a computer everywhere, when in doubt, put it somewhere. They should not be at the hands of customers though, UNLESS, it's a commercial chain. That's why I asked before if it's a chain or not. These two operate differently in a number of ways.

By the way, regardless of type, there will be technical help on hand, ready to provide aid or service. They have their own doohickees (programs/software/etc I don't know about) to check and maintain everything.

71 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 am
Gheala says...

Thank you so much. I don't think I have any more questions and I got everything covered- everything basic, at least. Thanks a lot, Mustard and Rosey, you've been a great help!

I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster