z

Young Writers Society

Capitalisation of Surnames?

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm
phantazma says...

Firstly, sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum; I'm still new, don't hurt me!

But, recently I've started writing again and all but one of my characters are Italian so, of course, they have Italian surnames. However, the capitalisation of some of said surnames is giving me a bit of bother. I have two surnames written in the run of the name "di Bruno" and "de Bardi" but I'm completely stumped as to how to write these names when they are at the beginning of a sentence (I call them by their surnames due to their jobs). Do I capitalise the Ds or leave them lower case?

Thanks!
"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'd follow proper grammar rules, just so people realize it actually is the start of a sentence. Capitalization at the start of sentences is one of those things that's so expected, breaking the naming convention is acceptable in my mind.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 pm
phantazma says...

Alright, thanks, Rosey Unicorn!

I ended up renaming di Bruno a little while back so that his D was a capital but I'll switch it back now and just capitalise it anyway.

Thanks again!
"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte

As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun