z

Young Writers Society

Goblin Fest

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm
cosby says...

Heya.
Does anyone know anything about Goblins? I'm co-authoring a story with my brother (this is interesting, because we've agreed to not to actually speak about it, so we don't fight - we're going to use the internet only) and the two main characters are an orc, and a goblin. Any information about both would be helpful, but my brothers got quite a few ideas and clues for orcs - they seem to be quite popular. However, I can't seem to find much about goblins. So, uh, is there anyone is a hidden proffesor of 'goblinology'? :)
*cough* Anything would be helpful.
Thanks,
cosby
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Lucky you, I'm well versed in Goblins. A good place to start is Jim Henson's Labyrinth, simply to see a "recent"-ish take on how goblins act and are portrayed in modern times. The real key will be for you in finding books and art work by Brian Froud. He has two invaluable books out on Fairies and Goblins, though problem is, they're SUPER HARD to find. Best of luck though.

Otherwise, there are some older poems and stories and fairy/folk tales you can find (romantic era mainly). There are simply too many sources for these figures, so just type in the era you think something might be in and look around.

Orcs though, are pretty current, you'll find most in Tolkien. If you go back further, you'll find what they're based on, which is Trolls, Ogres, and Hobgoblins (by the way, Hobgoblins have a long, long history). A specific source for any of those, much less Orcs, is not an easy task. What specifically do you want to show or know? If it's general information, just type in Orcs and look for something respectable and not some LOTR fan's self published website.

Hope that helps!

edit: post #300, woohoo.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am
brassnbridle says...

Hilari bell's Goblin Woods and Goblin Gates have an interesting take on goblins, about a girl who ends up living with and fighting beside them. Other than that, goblins always seem to be portrayed as shrewd, self-preserving, quick-thinking and light-fingered, and usually unapposed to a little shady business. But, as I've never read a book with the goblin as a main character, you're pretty much free to do whatever you want.

Good luck with the story!
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat