z

Young Writers Society

Burning pitch

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm
brassnbridle says...

To ask a seemingly random question, does anyone know about trying to burn pitch? Is it actually flamable, or does it have to be on something, like wood, to burn better? How about tar- is it any different?
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 am
Kale says...

It is extremely flammable, and hot-burning.

As for tar, it's nasty to burn, but it does burn. And it is very different. Tar is essentially the icky half of fossil fuels while pitch is dried tree sap, usually a species of pine.

Doing a quick Google search ought to bring up a lot more info.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:18 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Kyllorac wrote:It is extremely flammable, and hot-burning.

As for tar, it's nasty to burn, but it does burn. And it is very different. Tar is essentially the icky half of fossil fuels while pitch is dried tree sap, usually a species of pine.

Doing a quick Google search ought to bring up a lot more info.

Or just go out and try burning them. I mean, go google it, because you must be told by the great search engine. :smt001

Google be with us.

(srsly just get some matches, a lighter, and some kerosene or something; walla!)

89 Reviews

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm
brassnbridle says...

I've tried google with only moderate success in finding what i was looking for, but i'll keep looking. Just thought I'd check here.

(srsly just get some matches, a lighter, and some kerosene or something; walla!)
Haha that'd be nice, but my book unfortunately doesn't have access to matches, lighters, or probably kerosene.
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 pm
canislupis says...

Have you ever been camping? Sometimes the flames will catch the pitch suddenly, and whooom! Haha. I believe it was also used to coat the heads of torches. Then again, I could be wrong. But I'm sure it's very flamable.

What firestarters are your characters using? Is it an accidental fire? If so, any kind of match or lighter would work. Or you could try flint--it's hard to figure out how to use, but once you do it's easy. This is assuming you were planning on trying it out, which I'm not sure I should be suggesting... Don't play with fire! >.>

I wouldn't know about tar.

89 Reviews

Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm
brassnbridle says...

ok thanks- as I have no intention of trying it out, I just wanted to make sure it was safe to assume pitch would be very flammable if it came into contact with fire. My book is definately set in more of a flint-and-steel age than matches or lighters, and I wanted to make sure pitch would work :)

"It's not nice to roast people when they're out of comebacks."
— Tuckster