z

Young Writers Society

Injuries before death visible after death?

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 am
Durriedog says...

I'm writing a Crime novel and I'm wondering what some kinds of injuries obtained before death look like when the person is dead? Like, a bruise gained just before death? This is what I'm specifically looking for. A description of any other injuries to the body before and after death would be super-awesome too.

Love, Durrs
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm
Kale says...

I think you'll find this helpful: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1731416/

There's also this site with pictures, designed for a course on medical pathology: http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/GENERAL.html

Try searching using the terms post-mortem, necropsy, autopsy, forensic pathology, and the type of injury you're looking for will usually get you a good result.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:33 pm
lilymoore says...

This is just another tip but, even if you don't like the show, check out the autopsy scenes in the CSI (Crime Scene Investigators) television show. They often show things like post-mortem bruising and they manage to write it all in a pretty easy to understand vernacular. That show or even NCIS is a good one for all of the sciency things that you would be looking for. Both shows are nice starting points to nudge you in the right research direction.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm
Kale says...

That show or even NCIS is a good one for all of the sciency things that you would be looking for. Both shows are nice starting points to nudge you in the right research direction.

Good nudge, but they really shouldn't be taken as accurate. A better show would be Dr. G: Medical Examiner as it has footage of an actual professional examining actual corpses. Dr. G does a fair amount of forensic work, and so she'll point out things she looks for when she's trying to figure out whether the case may be murder, suicide, accidental, or natural causes.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 pm
Durriedog says...

Thank you guys so much!! This will be really helpful!
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm
Jagged says...

You could also check out this site. Course notes on pathology and forensics. The first half of the page is not relevant (though interesting to look at), but then after that it'll give you descriptions of several types of injuries, from abrasions to gunshot wounds to blunt force trauma and stuff.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte