z

Young Writers Society

Gifted

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:35 pm
cosby says...

Hey,
So, I've got a new story idea which is really bouncing round my head at the moment which I have to write. It's fantasy, and on a world where there is a constant storm (a bit like the red spot on... whatever planet it is :D). In this world, there are some people with "Gifts", special powers that set them out from the rest. The king of the country in which this is set, hunts down all of these "Gifted" people, and either forces them to work for him, or kills them. Or they are never seen again.
I'm trying to think of a name to call these people, something which doesn't sound cliche or had been used before. I also need a name to call the powers. In a book I read recently, people were 'Graced' with powers. Any ideas? :)

Thanks in advance. :wink:

-------
C.O.S.B.Y
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 pm
Stori says...

I think some authors refer to psychic abilities as "Talents". Is that what you're referring to?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 pm
cosby says...

I'm thinking more of just general names. Like these people with powers are another race, what they would be called. What the general public would call them - they are regarded as scum, and are treated with anger and distrust.
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:21 pm
RinSuru says...

Awww, I thought this might be a topic asking about the research and work on the theories of "gifted" in real life. :(

Semi-joking aside, gifted is a real and highly stigmatized label these days. Do you have any more specific traits in mind that would be determining factors in labeling "gifted" in the grand scheme of your idea? Anything to the most trivial details would be a great help in brainstorming up a good term.
In the interest of actually getting somewhere and accomplishing something, I'll be 'wrong' and you can be 'right'.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Try creating your own label for these people. You said they are another race, so name the race. It doesn't have to relate to the words "gifted", "talented", or "special" in any manner, it can be completely standalone. Then you know for sure that it's never been used, and it won't be cliche because it's completely new.

If you have problems creating names like that (like I do, haha) then try searching around for name generators, name lists, etc and manipulate a name (or combine it to another name) until you have one that fits and sounds right.
Got YWS?

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.