z

Young Writers Society

Novel in Second Person

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

First off(should of said in my intro post... :D ): I come on in waves and post on anything that catches my eye, and it really bothers me when I see my name across the last post column, :smt003.

Now for the question:

I have been having this idea, and it needs to be written in Second Person to have the full effect, especially because it somewhat "shocks" the reader when they see it written like that. The book is about the character, you, delving into an unknown part of your mind. My goal with the book is to make you feel everything that happens, and essentially bring you out of your body. The book is meant to leave you wondering.

I want it to confuse you, in order to bring you in. Even without an advancing plot line, my goal is to change the feel and perspective of the book by the end. You need to be able to miss the beginning. I want the book to make you long for something impossible to long for. I don't want to say too much, as the book needs to say open and unexplained in order for it to be "effective."

I haven't found much on things written in second person, other than informative essays and what not, so please give me examples of what you would expect to see from "second person!"
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:16 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

This would be a very tricky thing to do, especially if you're hoping to make it into a full-length novel instead of a short story.

Personally, if I were reading a story in second person, I'd expect to be told everything that I'm "seeing", and just have a really good sense of the setting that I'm supposed to be in. I'd expect it to keep my interest by little twists and unusual instances, but not too many to confuse me. I'd also want to have some idea of what you were throwing at me; explain how I'm supposed to feel without forcing it upon me, if that makes sense.

Good luck in your endeavor! If you end up posting it on here, feel free to PM me for a review; I'm interested in how you'd write it. (:
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:52 am
ShadowKnight155 says...

I will probably post a draft(hopefully) by around the 17 of November. I am starting a draft now. My main inspiration right now is Rachel's Challenge. We had an unofficial assembly today. Meant a lot. If you don't know what it is, look it up. :)
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender