z

Young Writers Society

That vs Which

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:56 am
kschencker says...

I'm writing an essay on witchcraft for my grade 11 history class. I have the sentence "Witchcraft is a topic [which/that] has interested many people throughout history". I initially wrote "which", but when I reread it, I thought "that" sounded better. Can anyone tell me which one is grammatically correct?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:00 am
RacheDrache says...

Your rereading guess was correct--"that" is correct in that context.

If you're using American English, this is the distinction between that and which:

--Use "that" in a restrictive modifier. Or, in other words, when whatever phrase you're that-ifying is crucial.

--Use "which" when the info you're adding is just extra. So, the non-restrictive sense.

In the future, to test to see if you have the right one, just delete the phrase you're that-ifying (the technical term is 'complimentizing).

"Witchcraft is a topic has interested many people throughout history" sounds weird, so you need the 'that'.

But, you could alternatively write the sentence like, "Witchcraft, which has interested many people throughout history, is blah blah blah." And because "Witchcraft is blah blah blah" works as a sentence, it's non restrictive, hence the which, etc.

That's aren't offset by commas. Which'es (no pun intended) are.

Note: Applies to American English only
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:28 am
kschencker says...

Thank you so much! :)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:00 am
bookworm27 says...

My english teacher says to always use that when in doubt, because it's stronger.
“Maybe it’s fate that Hound ate the map. Maybe we’ll discover soemthing wonderful while we’re lost.”-The Penderwicks

The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.
— Harold Coffin