z

Young Writers Society

Beginning a Book

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 pm
lakegirls says...

Hey everyone!
So I'm almost done my first novel and I let one of my friends read it and they said that the beginning wasn't 'dramatic' enough, like there wasn't some big thing that happened. So my question to you is, at the beginning of the book does something big need to happen? For example, someone dying or someone moving away.

Mine starts off with a prologue of my characters at a young age, and then the first chapter is 5 years later and it shows how things have changed. The next chapter is about a party.

I find the beginning of the book interesting and it makes me want to read more, is that all I need? An intriguing beginning?
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 pm
Tigersprite says...

Does anything meaningful happen in your prologue? Nothing "big" needs to happen, but something must happen or be shown that will be meaningful later in the story. Otherwise there isn't any point of writing a prologue.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:45 pm
Rosendorn says...

This article and this article discuss beginnings and the best ways to start. It's not all-inclusive, but they're a good general guideline for how beginnings can work.

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

135 Reviews

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 pm
lakegirls says...

The prologue is my three main characters (they're in grade six at the time) discussing how they want to have a contest to see who can go the longest without shaving their legs (me and my friends did this when we were younger) The next chapter is the three main characters getting ready for a party and one character asks for a razor to shave her legs. It shows how they've changed just in a few years.

Does this seem like a pointless beginning to you? I'm having doubts and need help!
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:39 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

That sounds too situational. You must remember to have an exposition created in the process of the story, that is an "argument" or an "exchange of feeling". It's not merely the characters being presented, but what they are, and what they mean to the story later to be presented. And then perhaps don't present the exposition itself.

What I mean is don't write merely to write a beginning. Write it to communicate, write it lead to something, write it to fit. Why is this contest important? What's the significance of the friends being together? Perhaps if you create reason for the situation and the upcoming events, then it's fine. Always remember, there needs to be clear transition or at least, meaningful transition from event to event, though it needn't be chapter to chapter in chronological order. I hope that helps!

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:54 am
Calligraphy says...

A lead should have energy and excitement, it should promise the reader that something interesting or exciting is going to happen. It has to create curiosity or people won't read on. Give your readers something to relate to something to spark their interest. You have to make this happen in a very short amount of time. For example a 500-word lead would be very bad in an 800-word story. It would be a good lead in a longer story though. Something around 3,000 words.

I think that the first few paragraphs though, are the most important. A good first few sentences is also good. Here is, what I think, is a good first sentence to a book: There is nothing lonelier than a cat who has been loved, at least for a while, and then abandoned on the side of the road.

That book was The Underneath by Kathi Appelt. Did it get you interested? It made me picture a small lonely kitten abandoned on the side of the road. Here is another:

Well, even if they say life can be shitty, you really don’t know the half of it until you’ve dug up an outhouse.

That was from the book Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos. It made me interested.

Anyway, as you can also see your beginning also sets the tone for the whole book. Who are you trying to write for? What will spark their interest? How can you get them to read more? You shouldn't make promises about your writing style and slant you can't keep in the beginning.

Hope I helped,

A. S.

135 Reviews

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:46 am
lakegirls says...

This is my new beginning! I'm not sure if I should include this in chapter one or if I should have it before chapter one and add more! Opinions?

Friendship, a lot like a ravel on a dress, can only be pulled and tugged at so many times before giving up and finally coming undone right before your eyes. However, friendship is under a lot more stress then a silly loose ravel, as you all know, it faces flip flops and summersaults and unnecessary drama that everyone dreads. The difficult, and sometimes seemingly annoying part, of it is trying to find the ones worth fighting for and trying to not let yourself get unravelled along the way.
So what is one thing that can completely wreck this bittersweet endurance of friendship? Well the answer is simple, that would be a secret. Everyone has that one secret that could ruin their lives, the one they don’t want to share, even your fat balding teacher. It could be that you’re going out with the biggest nerd in your school, that you’re the only virgin left in your grade or that you’re scared of the dark. No matter who you are you have a secret, sometimes so scandalous you’d do anything to keep it to yourself, even betray you’re best friends.
-Gloria Steinem

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 am
Calligraphy says...

This is good! If you tweak the first sentence slightly it could be perfect!

lakegirls wrote:Friendship, a lot like a ravel on a dress, can only be pulled and tugged at so many times before giving up and finally coming undone right before your eyes.

I, personally would take out the stuff I made bold. A first sentence can't be too ling. I made 'giving up and' bold because it didn't make sense to me. What or who is giving up? Clarification?

lakegirls wrote:However, friendship is under a lot more stress then a silly loose ravel, as you all know, it faces flip flops and summersaults and unnecessary drama that everyone dreads.

'Sommersaults' should be 'somersaults' and 'it faces flip flops and summersaults and unnecessary drama' should be 'it faces flip flops, somersaults , and unnecessary drama.

lakegirls wrote:The difficult, and sometimes seemingly annoying part, of it is trying to find the ones worth fighting for and trying to not let yourself get unravelled along the way.

'Unravelled' should be 'unraveled'.

lakegirls wrote: So what is one thing that can completely wreck this bittersweet endurance of friendship? Well the answer is simple, that would be a secret.

I know, I know I am telling you take out words. But, a beginning can never be to frank. Every word counts. I have heard endless writers that say you don't need a word if it isn't absolutely necessary, take it out. I do believe this and I think it is even more important in the first few paragraphs of your book.

Alright, alright I will stop doing my 'one line at a time' review. I know everyone hates them. This is a very good beginning and I got a feel of your, or your character's personality is depending on what POV you are writing from. Though this time of begging, talking about secrets, is slightly cliche I am still intrigued. You have built up tension, and you haven't given any pointless details. I can't wait to read more.

Hope I helped,

A. S.

"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood."
— George Orwell, 1984