z

Young Writers Society

WIZARDS!

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:22 am
Wondergirl59 says...

Okay, so I'm writing a new short story, and having wizardry as the theme. It's about a young wizard going out for the first time in the real world, falling in love with a human, having to pay consequences, and a very troublesome journey. But none of that is important. What I need from all of you is names of spells. Originality is needed. Anything would be accepted. I could use anything. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life can be amazing if your slightly strange

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 am
Rosendorn says...

Two questions:

1- What sort of language do you want? That'll help determine a continuity for spells, so they don't sound so jumbled and smushed together.

2- Why name spells in the first place?

I personally find it's a lot easier to go without naming spells. Unless you really take the time to go through phonics and make things sound both similar (ie- from the same language) and are pronounceable. An added bonus would be not making linguists laugh or facepalm.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm
Wondergirl59 says...

Well I was also thinking about skipping over spells and just using elements as their spells. You know, Earth, water, fire, air. That kinda thing. Maybe I'll just do that.
Life can be amazing if your slightly strange

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:58 pm
Idraax says...

Try this site for randomly generated names. I generally use Google Translator, pick a language and name the spell by what it does.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Hey, I write alot of Fantasy stuff and I find myself needing names for made up things ... frequently. What I usually do is go to a translator and use Latin. Then I just enter english words related to what I'm naming until I find something that feels right. Latin is good because we use it in science and medicine, so the phonetics are familiar and generally easy to pronounce. Hope this helps!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:28 pm
Cspr says...

I tend to use languages like German, or Dutch, to name my spells in a novel I'm working on--using a translating service. It might be a good idea to pick a language, or a few like languages, to work with.

Of course, it also depends on what form of magic your characters have. Is it witchcraft? As in dark and guarded? If so, I'd suggest a rough language, something blunt, or maybe twisted rhymes. Is it inborn, a genetic thing, a species thing? If so, chose a language or such that fits the people you are dealing with. Is it light magic? If so, chose feminine or soft words, or just words that end in vowels, perhaps. Maybe make up your own language--using whichever letters achieve your point.

I could go on and on. You can chose not to involve it (leave it as mental magic, or just not go into detail). More explanation would be good, however; if you haven't found an answer yet.
My SPD senses are tingling.

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman