z

Young Writers Society

Paper or PC?

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:13 am
EloquentDragon says...

Hey everyone!
I was wondering, do you prefer to use the computer to write, or do you like the old fashioned pen-and-paper?
Why? Do you think one is better than the other?
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:50 am
Rosendorn says...

Neither. I write on a Mac. :P

For the most part. Poetry gets written on paper, and if good enough goes onto my computer and gets edited in the process. Some prose works get written on paper, too. But, for the most part, it's Mac/computer.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:50 am
Angels-Symphony says...

As much as I love writing by hand, when it comes to the mass-production of words I prefer using the computer xD I can't write as fast as I think, but I can type as fast as I think. That's my reason.
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:10 pm
View Likes
Idraax says...

Both! Usually I start out on paper, but when I transfer it to a computer it starts changing.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 am
lilymoore says...

I used to write almost exclusively on paper. But as time has gone on, I've actually found that besides being a billion times faster on the computer, things usually end up making way more sense typed then on the page. Plus, my hand writing has only become worse as the years have gone on, (I sound way too old when I say things like that) so it's nice not having to spend so much time shifting through everything to figure out what I was trying to say.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

192 Reviews

Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:32 am
EloquentDragon says...

I'm a paper person. I write much better when I actually write. With typing, however, I am much faster, so I use the com. for re-writes/final versions.
P.S. On the title: Paper or PC?
Hah, I love Macs, but it just sounded "catch-y-er" this way.

Enter, if you dare.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 am
Kale says...

It depends on the story, but for the most part, I'm a paper person. I hail from the days before computers were commonplace, and so writing by hand has always been more comfortable than typing, even though I'm much faster at typing.

Also, Elo, it's "catchier". No need to go about inventing new spellings when perfectly serviceable ones are extant. :P
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

192 Reviews

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 am
EloquentDragon says...

Well, I don't often use slang...

I have this strange impression that this is slightly irrelevant and also ironic. Heh.

Enter, if you dare.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Paper. Something about the screen and the typing and the nature of editing so easily bothers me constantly. The paper is much more intimate and I can always go back later and look at my scribbles and edits and know precisely what I was feeling. Plus doing all I can to keep the smearing or blurring of a page, it almost makes them feel like a young child I must do anything I can to protect, care for, and love. Even if it's terrible. And then it might be torn in anger, or burned, or crumpled up, or buried....... :D

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:55 pm
ExposedSoul says...

Paper usually, our computer is in the hallway and I'm paranoid about my parents walking by and reading my writing.
ExPoSeD sOuL

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:04 am
deirdredawne says...

However I can get it down. I have a binder I keep with dividers on each story/story idea.
I have notebooks upon notebooks of doodles, poems, short stories, and random quotes I think will fit somewhere.
I have reams of documents with all of the same (minus doodles)

I prefer to have everything on a computer copy so that I can send to friends to edit or so I can work on when I am at work. I always have my flash drive with me that has my novel and painting ideas, etc on it. Current WIP's.

I have found there are days when I need pen and paper just to be able to get the creativity flowing. Sometimes I need the computer so I can keep up with how fast hte thoughts are coming, or becuase i need the sound of the keyboard to encourage me. It depends on the mood. But always for editing I like a red pen and paper. I like to see what and where I have changed easily.

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 am
View Likes
ShadowKnight155 says...

I write and print. My house is filled with computers,two in my room actually. Its not really a problem for me if someone comes into the room, I just minimize the window. I do like writing by hand, but it feels more dangerous if you rip it, and plus I am a lefty, so everything gets smeared.

On the computer though, I hate using word, I like using a simpler program like Microsoft Works Word Processor(Not really simpler, but less flashy). Just not notepad or wordpad.
By nature, all language is flawed.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding," - Albert Einstein

Reviews: 2
Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:35 pm
JediKnightMuse says...

I used to love writing in notebooks and filling them up with stories. But, as I've gotten older, I've found it harder to write by hand and NOT want to just start typing it up on the computer. I kind of wish I could get back into just writing in a notebook. I mean, I still make notes in them, but even those end up on the computer.

Also, I use a Mac, too, not a PC. :P

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:44 am
alwaysawriter says...

Angels-Symphony wrote:As much as I love writing by hand, when it comes to the mass-production of words I prefer using the computer xD I can't write as fast as I think, but I can type as fast as I think. That's my reason.

What Shina said!

Don't forget about typewriters. I have one of those too. I like it much better than computer or pen but I always make a million typos using it so I rarely do.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 am
GryphonFledgling says...

I go through phases. Right now, I'm in a paper phase, where I absolutely have to have everything and anything scrawled out in my horrible handwriting. I have to physically write it. At other times, I like the rapidity that typing gives me and I just bang everything out in a word document.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, and poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.
— Leonardo da Vinci