z

Young Writers Society

Paper or PC?

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 pm
tuckerluvr says...

Paper, our computer is old and slow, so it takes like an hour to load Word, and it likes to shut down at random times >.< Also, I hate sharing most of my writing, so I write on paper and I can store it away compared to having people look through my folders on the comp.
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

Reviews: 0
Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm
View Likes
phantazma says...

I use both, though I find everything a lot easier to manage on a computer. Because I have free periods at school now I tend to do a lot of my writing on paper and then bring it home and type it up. I just find that I end up with a lot of loose papers that are hard to sort out though, so it does get to be a bit of a nightmare.
"Glory is fleeting but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:10 am
xiahouzay says...

Paper For Sure!
Reality Is A Lovely Place, But I Wouldn't Want To Live There.

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:00 am
Dreamwalker says...

I type.

Sometimes I like to attempt to write on paper, but I can never really keep up with that cause it hurts too much to continue doing it for long periods of time as I have done on a computer (5 hours to be exact would be my clocked in time for number of hours). If I were to attempt that on paper, I would kill myself O_o.

But I did originally start writing on paper! My first novel was started in this little yellow booklet over 6 years ago. I had never been more proud of anything in my life. Then I started typing in. And then I realized I was a bad writer...

Now when I look back on it, I laugh a lot but I'm glad I started!
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm
Dynamo says...

PC all the way. You can write faster using a keyboard instead of a pencil, it's easier and takes less time to correct mistakes, there's spellcheck (of course), looking up word defenitions or synonyms is as easy as a right-click, you can write longer before your hands start to get tired, and best of all you have the ability to make more than one copy in case something happens to the original.

Some people may argue that it's better to use paper because computers can crash, taking all your work with it, whereas with paper you will always have a hard copy. My counter-arguement: go out and buy a gig-stick and save a back-up copy there. In fact, go out and buy three, those things cost around five bucks nowadays. Heck, I even got one for free on my first day of college as part of a welcome package. :D If you're particularly tech savy, you could also go as far as buying an external hardrive, having it connected to your computer at all times, and write up a script code in notepad that lets you copy all your work into a backup folder in the external drive with a simple mouse click, instead of having to copy and paste everything manually everytime you want to make a back-up. It also has the added benefit that if your house ever catches on fire you can save your files by taking the hardrive and chucking it out the window. Don't worry about it getting broken, there are data recover stations that can recover all the data off of a hardrive even if the thing is busted.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Reviews: 4
Tue May 17, 2011 11:24 am
Moestitia says...

Paper is alright from time to time. But to be honest, PC is my first choice almost every time.

I will use paper/a note pad to jot down any new ideas as they come to me. However, I find PC a lot easier when it comes to structuring and writing a piece. It's a lot simpler when it comes to moving things around, integrating ideas, deleteing information, inserting additional words/changing expression, etc. without making things too messy to boot! I find it also a lot quicker to type - which is especially necessary when the brain juices start working full-throttle. Oh, and I should mention, it makes it easier to use the internet as an aid for inspiration or research while I'm writing!
"First I thought it was a dream
But then it smashed into reality
Beautiful on the outside,
Decayed deeply within."

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Wed May 18, 2011 3:28 pm
Matthews says...

I almost always write poetry on paper, and longer works on the computer. It seems to work best that way for me. Of course, I do sometimes write bits or pieces of a story on paper, but in general I do the long pieces via computer. It's much easier, and faster for me....although with the poetry....it seems to come out MUCH better if I write that on paper first. I have no idea why, but hey, it works, so who cares?! :P
Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri May 20, 2011 5:54 pm
Gheala says...

Oh, that's a very good question!
I love them both so very much! I use the computer when I have many thoughts that are rushing to my head too fast for a pen to write. I need a keyboard then, to simply type my thoughts no matter how jumbled they are. It's surely better when it comes to editing, because it's faster.

But! I use the pen and paper when I need to think through what I'm writing. My favourite pieces are written in ink, because I come to ponder them while I write them down.

So, computer for fast pieces and pen for thoughtful ones!
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

"I never expected that I should be a queen so soon."
— Alice's Adventures in Wonderland