z

Young Writers Society

Swords

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:52 pm
Rosendorn says...

There's also the TV Tropes Notes page on Swords which gives a breakdown on types of swords around the world. Scroll down to "European Swords" for sword types you'd be looking for. It also breaks down why certain swords were used, which should be useful.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 pm
Fishr says...

I'm a collector of swords, and various edged weapons. Exactly, what year or era are you focusing on? This will ultimately narrow down your decesion as to the popularity or commonly used swords of that period.

Do not let the overall length of a one-hander fool you. I own a married sword, which means the hilt is dated to the 1750s, the but blade is more dated to the 1770s. This sword is forty inches long - tip of pommel to end of the tip of blade - and for such a long thing, it's suprisingly well balanced and feels great in hand. Also, the steel is not thick, so the sword itself is light. It was made for moderately quick strrikes as a saber is designed for slashing and strikes.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice, we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.
— Dietrich Bonhoeffer