z

Young Writers Society

Letter of Motivation - More help needed (Dec 14.)

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:07 pm
Lava says...

[I'm not sure which forum this goes in, so please bear with this.]

I'm applying for this research based internship and they've asked me for:

"Letter of motivation or self-advertisement(up to one page)"

-Does it mean I follow the format of a formal letter?
-Do I list my top qualities that are necessary for a researcher or should I sort of explain my achievements? Or a mix of both?
(I'm not sure as I've never had to do this, so.)
Last edited by Lava on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:46 pm
Rosendorn says...

-Does it mean I follow the format of a formal letter?

Yes.

-Do I list my top qualities that are necessary for a researcher or should I sort of explain my achievements? Or a mix of both?

Both. Write the letter so they have to pick you for the internship and nobody else. Top qualities and some achievements (plus how you got them/how they relate to your top qualities).

In everything, include why you want the position. That'll work in motivation and help you stand out a bit more.

"Self advertisement" means they want you to show yourself in the most positive light possible. They want to see who you are and why you should have the position.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Lava says...

Moar help needed:

I have to pick a few areas I'm interested in and since they form a varied set of topics like Cell Bio, Neuro Bio, Genomic technology etc.,
Is it okay to say something along the lines of "I haven't yet found my nice, but I'm still looking for it and working in either of these potential research areas.."
Or do I go like "I have been fascinated with this entire subject for years and I would enjoy working on either of these.."

Of course, I will refine the sentences.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

The second one. That shows drive to learn and doesn't include negatives in the sentence, making it sound more appealing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm
Lava says...

Thanks! <3
~

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien