z

Young Writers Society

I'm New...

Reviews: 0
Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:49 am
Stitchlips says...

Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking forward to posting on the site. FIrst, I need everyone's help with an advanced placement paper real quick. Please answer these questions A.S.A.P., but if you can't, it's all good. I should start putting up stories soon.

1. Do you think anyone can become a published writer?
2. What skills does a good writer use most?
3. How can a writer practice his art?

Okay, I know they're really easy, but I need to quote you, so just say what you feel from your personal experience. Thanks all very much :)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:26 am
Nephthys says...

Hello, and welcome :)

I'd be glad to help you with your paper!

1. Do you think anyone can become a published writer? I'm going to have to quote my good friend Oliver Welles from Slings & Arrows on this one (He said it about acting, but I think it applies appropriately to writing as well): It takes a lot more than talent to become a writer - a lack of ambition is absolutely essential.

2. What skills does a good writer use most? Stealing/adapting ideas from real life/other writers. Rewriting.

3. How can a writer practice his art? By writing (obviously), by reading (obviously) and by living. Also watching people -it's fun too :)

Good luck with your paper! Let me know if you need a review.
- Nephthys
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Reviews: 0
Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 am
Stitchlips says...

Wow, that was quick! Thanks very much for the assistance, Nephthys, you may have just gotten me an A :D

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:05 am
Boolovesyou says...

I believe anyone CAN BE a writer, but its how you manipulate your words to bring people into what you are writing.

I am not a very skilled writer yet so im not sure. :wink:

Just to continue writing.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Yes and no. With self-publishing it is possible. With traditional publishing, I don't believe so. Some people have skills that are publishable, others do not.

Logic. Lots of logic. Having the logical continuation in plot, characters who behave in ways that can be tracked and are in-character, research skills to have the world have proper order.

Write. Read nonfic. Review (and review people who reply to reviews, so you can explain your points more). Read fiction.

Primarily write, review, and read nonfic.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 pm
canislupis says...

I agree with Rosey to some extent, except the second question--I think its a lack of logic, actually, or the ability to relate certain things with eachother in ways others wouldn't think of. Of course, to each her own. :D

My answers:

1. There is no way to answer this question because not everyone wants to be a published author. Certainly you have to want it. (Maybe all writers are born with the drive to write; I don't know.) If you look at the total population of failed writers, then obviously not everyone gets to be a published author. But in terms of your own odds, I prefer to look at it less scientifically--I have as much chance of getting there as anyone else. (sorry, convoluted answer.)

2. Observing and copying other people/authors/ideas. Also looking at things differently. Self-discipline, for all those hours of staring at the coputer screen.

3. Get ready for the cliche answer: Read. Write. Critique. Learn to accept mistakes, criticism and failure, and learn from them. Write some more. Live your life so you have something to write about. Write some more.

Good luck!

Lupis

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 pm
Rosendorn says...

I agree with Rosey to some extent, except the second question--I think its a lack of logic, actually, or the ability to relate certain things with eachother in ways others wouldn't think of. Of course, to each her own.

Ah, no, I didn't mean remove odd associations. ^^; Those can be wonderful to read about, and I love making odd associations.

However, once those odd associations are made and the connection established, the association must then have some sort of internal logic. Continuity, primarily.

Maybe the word I was looking for was "continuity" instead of "logic." The two are a bit too interchangeable in my vocabulary.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:11 pm
canislupis says...

Ah, no, I didn't mean remove odd associations. ^^; Those can be wonderful to read about, and I love making odd associations.

However, once those odd associations are made and the connection established, the association must then have some sort of internal logic. Continuity, primarily.

Maybe the word I was looking for was "continuity" instead of "logic." The two are a bit too interchangeable in my vocabulary.

Sure, I agree--continuity is very important. I wasn't trying to start a debate. :lol: And definitely I could use some logic. Most people could. >.<So yeah, I wasn't trying to disagree, just elaborate. (Though looking at my post, it doesn't really look like that. I wasn't being logical.) I think it depends on the style of the author--some look at everything logically, some less so.

Lupis

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner