z

Young Writers Society

Medieval Tech Support

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:33 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Help!
I need names appropriate to 14th or 15th century England, particularly names for nobles (male), also a few evil sounding female names. They could be of any origin, as long as they're culturally correct. (Heh, heh, heh.)
Any ideas for cool sounding names that could be applied are welcome too.
I also need the names of the provinces, counties, fifedoms, etc. of that time, and these could be made up since a lot of the names for pieces of land at that time are, well, kinda lame. (Chesshire? Come on!)
Is there a good name generator out there or site I could check out? (Please post the link here.)

My advances in deepest gratitude.
~E.D.
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:20 am
Rosendorn says...

*Moved to Ask an Expert*

That being done! Try poking around Behind The Name's Usage page for names used in that area (Or just looking up http://www.behindthename.com in general). I'd also do a quick wiki search on English Provinces (or Provinces of England, which brought me this which led to this)

Hope this helps!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:25 am
Nephthys says...

http://www.babynamesworld.com

This site gets the credit for naming like 90% of my characters. :)
They have a very customizable 'Advanced Search', and a TON of names.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:43 am
Meshugenah says...

Teehee. I'm a bit of a budding medieval nut job.

So! Uh, forgive me if this is all way more than you need, but I do love this stuff.

For maps, I don't have medieval England, per se, but medieval Europe as a whole. For geography, check this out it's not the best, but it's decent enough for what it does.

This site has just about anything you'd ever want/need except a name generator, or list of names. I do love it, however, and it's a great general resource, especially if you need information on how communities were built/social constructions, etc. There is also a section on social classes, which will have names within it, obviously, for historical examples of how names were used.

My last site is one I have used, though I haven't looked through all the links on the directory, found here. It was complied by Michigan State, and while somewhat outdated, many of the links are up-to-date and working (beware, not all will!). They have a section on medieval towns/villages you may find helpful, though I have not checked those sites myself. Dig around, however! Odds are you'll find what you're looking for. If you have any questions about any of this, feel free to ask me! I love this stuff to death, and I'm definitely willing to help you dig more/ask one of my old professors/just talk about all this!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:28 pm
EloquentDragon says...

Thanks everyone!
Do you know of any sites that have a directory for medieval clothing? (I'm terrible at fashion, so I have to meticulously study every outfit I come across to get it right :) )
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:08 pm
Rosendorn says...

Online? Not that I know of. But I do highly recommend the book The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference by Writer's Digest. It has a full chapter on clothing.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.
— Chinese proverb