z

Young Writers Society

Which? Descriptive, or little detail?

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:46 pm
Gheala says...

If you're reading a novel, how would you like this death scene to be put forward?

Let's say the protagonist is standing in front of an old blood stain and is remembering the dear person who got killed. How should I write it?

1-Standing there and merely describing how that person's corpse looked, when he was killed months ago? Like the physical description?
2-Remembering the whole situation, and telling the story of going in the room by accident and seeing the corpse and so on?

So, the whole death scene, or a mere description of the corpse and details come later? It's only chapter five and it's the first real detail about the death. What do you think? I know I'm the writer and I should decide this, but I do need opinions too.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:56 pm
ToritheMonster says...

I suggest a description of the corpse. It's a clue to how they were killed and builds suspense. Then you'll break it later on in the book when the whole thing is revealed.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:38 pm
Gladius says...

I kind of like a blend of the two, I think, if it works for your style and can be incorporated into the rest of the scene which you've built this into. If you could do a few lines of description, then a few lines of flashback in italics, it could build suspense while still giving us vague/cryptic details of the actual death--things which should, hopefully, be fully revealed later and give the reader an "Aha!" or *head/palm* moment, depending if they noticed those details earlier or not.

Does that make sense, or should I write out a small example, too? :P
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Why don't you write the scene twice? Once descriptive, once thin in details. See which one you prefer writing from after, or just prefer the scene.

Also, what sort of trigger will cause such a memory? If you launch into a whole monologue about the Dead from one, somewhat general blood stain, readers might wonder "why is the author spending so much time on this?" You might also get readers thinking "I want the action to move on already" if there was a sudden stop in action to go into a detailed flashback.

Just something to think about. Don't just stick the full description on there for the sake of sticking the full description on there; have a reason for every flashback to be shown.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus