z

Young Writers Society

Paul Revere

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:38 am
Fishr says...

I'm having a hard time finding decent info on him, believe it or not. The only site I found was http://www.paulreverehouse.com that had decent info. However, I need more. Most of the links I'm getting are about his famouse ride, and there's very little on his bio.

So if anyone knows any books or other links, could you post them please?

Also, there's very little information on his famous quotes. The purpose of the quotes is so I can master his dilect but there's so little information, that it's making it hard.

If anyone knows links that relate to Revere's speech, could you post those too?

Overall, anything that anyone can help me with would be great. Thank you.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:33 pm
Firestarter says...

Did you try Wikipedia? If not, here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere

You mentioned about mastering his dialect. Well, even if you can't find quotes I wouldn't worry too much. There's historical accuracy and then there's insanity. Not many readers will mind how you portray his voice as long as it fits the times.

Besides, you have to make the character your own, whether he was a historical figure or not.

However, if you want good information, I would go and get out some books. Amazon gives you this list: List of Books

Unfortunately, most of them are about his ride.

This book, however, covers his life and appears to have primary sources included (letters, etc.) which might be helpful in finding his voice: In Their Own Words : Paul Revere

Also, supposedly this is thought of as the most useful account of Revere: And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?

That link also lets you look inside the book. One description of the work says "Describes some of the well-known as well as the lesser-known details of Paul Revere's life and exciting ride." So I reckon that could be of some use to you.

I hope that helped, good luck with your story!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 pm
Fishr says...

WOW! That was more help than I expected. Thank you, Firestarter!! :D

And this made me laugh:
Well, even if you can't find quotes I wouldn't worry too much. There's historical accuracy and then there's insanity. Not many readers will mind how you portray his voice as long as it fits the times.

Besides, you have to make the character your own, whether he was a historical figure or not.
You're right, and I value my sanity, lmao. That's good advice and now I feel better, lol.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:19 pm
Brigadier says...

The person before me gave a list of books about Paul Revere and then wikipedia, so I thought I might link in a couple of useful resources that have emerged in that time. There's quite a bit of material covering Paul Revere during the times of the Revolution but I'm sure in the right circles, you can find information about his silversmith involvement.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Paul-Revere
Britannica, if you go by direct link, is easy to access for free and trustworthy information. They might have the background that people are looking for with personal details to include in dialogue and narration.

https://www.history.com/topics/american ... aul-revere
And History.com (for the history channel), always has a long account and/or links out to other related articles/sources that are suggested.

I would also look into what the US National Park Service might have to offer on him, as well as what profile the Smithsonian might have. Both of these services keep historical profiles of important people and would most likely have better sources for quotes than other places.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett