z

Young Writers Society

I have a question about titles. >:D

Reviews: 4
Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 am
Someone says...

Is it alright to have a title that is totally unrelated to the story but still very attractive? :O
Or perhaps, it could sort of be related to the story but not really?

Lets say the story you are writing is about a girl and boy in love and there is so much going on in the story with all the lies, drama, love, romance, obsession, and sadness.

You could title it Sea because it's like a Sea full of lies, obsession etc. Right? Even though there is no mention of Sea :O!??!?

Or is that a total NO?

xD
Last edited by Someone on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~

He crawls like a worm from a bird.

Do you shower naked? Join the club!
page.php?id=790

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:02 am
Elinor says...

It's your title. You can do whatever you want with it.

Though, if you do have a title that's more stylistic, better to do something that's related and should give readers a good clue as to what they are going to be reading. So, you probably shouldn't name something, "My Last Bloody Breath" if it's going to be a comedic story about high school.

Take The Notebook, for instance. Is there any reference to a notebook within the story? No. Does it work as a title? Yes.

I wouldn't so much worry about capturing your story perfectly or distinctly saying what it's about with a title. Does it reflect a theme? A character? Is it catchy and creative? Does it fit with the genre? If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, you probably have a good title.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Reviews: 4
Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 am
Someone says...

Woop woop! :D
Last edited by Someone on Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~

He crawls like a worm from a bird.

Do you shower naked? Join the club!
page.php?id=790

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:45 pm
rememberme says...

I think you should name it "Sea", infact that makes perfect sense! It seems like a mysterious and alluring title and of course you can either way, if you wanted to name it "dog" you could because like she said, it's your book. I mean of course you want a really nice and attractive title because that's how people choose their books, by the titles, but it's not the title that really matters its the story.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:51 am
Idraax says...

I agree, you can name it whatever you want but it has to make sense.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:59 am
View Likes
lilymoore says...

This is an article that I always use when I think about titling anything. Those seven rules are really great for making a decision. But when you look at rule number seven, don't take it too seriously. Being kind of random can be awesome too!

This article is helpful too and includes some examples too which can help.

Or you can take this advice from Snoink.

And I really recommend reading this article too.

But ultimately, the decision on what and how to title your novel is yours.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

"In my contact with people I find that, as a rule, it is only the little, narrow people who live for themselves, who never read good books, who do not travel, who never open up their souls in a way to permit them to come into contact with other souls -- with the great outside world."
— Booker T. Washington, Up From Slavery