z

Young Writers Society

Cartoon style

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:13 am
itsjustemilie says...

Does anyone here have experience drawing cartoon/comic style drawings? I would like some help improving my cartoons but i'm not sure where to start so any tips,tricks, websites or pictures that could help me improve would be great.
ItJustEmilie!

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 am
Kale says...

Learn how to draw realism first. Cartoons/comics are exaggerations and/or simplifications of natural forms, so you need to know those forms and how to render them properly before you can draw cartoons/comics well.

There are a number of excellent drawing books and websites out there, such as Drawspace. There's also PolyKarbon and Manga University. Take a look around. Pay attention to the quality of the art used in the tutorials.

And don't forget that the best thing you can do to improve anything is practice.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:55 pm
Shearwater says...

Firstly, I agree with Kyll. Realism should be learned first, I actually think learning to draw cartoon can prove to be quite a difficult task but everyone is different. Try experimenting with different styles and see which one you're comfortable with most. I think when learning how to draw, anatomy is probably the first thing you should try to understand. Learning the structure of the nose, how far the ears should be. Where the neck starts and how the arms and legs bend.
From my experience, I started off with cartoons/anime first and then slowly began adding more detail to my drawings and turning them into realism. Now, I do prefer a more fantasy-like feel to my drawings, thus the characters I draw are sometimes unrealistic looking but I like them that way. Although, if I wanted to, I could create realistic people.
I recommend learning the anatomic features. Here are a few links that should help you. Plunging straight into realism can be hard and sometimes frustrating, but don't get aggravated. ;)
Deviantart, although not the best place to get critiques on art, does provide some nice tutorials if you're interested: Deviantart
Browse around and find something that might help you out.

When looking for certain poses and/or just studying up on anatomy this is a great site.
http://www.posemaniacs.com/
Also this: http://www.elfwood.com/farp/figure/will ... ction.html

There's a lot of thought that goes into drawing just as it goes into writing. That being said, practicing and acknowledging your mistakes is the best way to learn.
And if you still need any advice, you can always PM me.
Best of luck,

~Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Do. Or do not. There is no try.
— Yoda