z

Young Writers Society

Georgian England

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:41 am
Ruth says...

I'm trying to write a period drama set in Georgian England - the Jane Austen end of the period - and I need to know more about coming of age. What would be the normal ceremony for a young woman "coming out" into society, and what are the limits that would be legal but perhaps not socially approved of?

Thank you!
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:17 am
Calligraphy says...

Well, from what I know (don't take this too seriously though because I don't really know for sure) coming of age would be considered going to balls. If you went to balls as a young lady you were married or available for marriage/courting. A girl usually didn't go to balls unless their older sisters were married or happily pretty old (late 20ties/30ies) and single. Coming of age was I think acceptable 17 or older.

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:21 pm
Fishr says...

i'm not sure if I understood your question. When you said "coming out," I thought a for a second you were wondering about homosexuality, which obviously, would be shunned, haha.

Usually, and this just my opinion based on what I know of 18th c. England; there isn't any historic fact surrounding my insight. That said, I'm going to assume this young lady is in high standing or well-to-do in her society. As such, mistresses as young as fourteen can and were courted. Depending on the two families, they both may have reached an agreement when she and he are between sixteen to eighteen, to be Wed. These arrangements, as you can imagine, could have caused friction. After all, waiting four years until it was considered, "proper," is a long freakin' time, and the heart doesn't always follow.

More often than not, the couple is married not by their choice but by the Fathers, to secure a future, falling on the type of business which was run. Importing and exporting tabacco was one such business, and fairly profitable too.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 am
ZaddieCaso says...

A pin point in a young ladies life is usually when her parents begin taking her out to social outings, balls and dinner parties with other high social society and begin the slow process of finding her a suitable husband. This is usually a great time for the girl as before hand she would have little contact with her mother and father, being cared by the servants or her nurse, and when she reaches this age she will be spending much more time with them.

As for acceptability. It is acceptable for girls to talk to young men but only respectable ones. It is not acceptable for young women to engage in any large amount of time when men that aren't their family, any physical contact with them or dance to many times over a short period of time with the same partner.

I live in Bath, England's most famous Georgian City and the setting of many of Jane Austen's books, she lived there for some time as well. If you have any questions regarding Georgian England, feel free to Pm me.
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

Some people file their [tax] returns inside of a dead fish.
— John Oliver