z

Young Writers Society

Cricket, ship building, and cars in England...

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:13 am
yoha_ahoy says...

Can anyone give me an easy-to-understand run through on how you play cricket? Basic rules... plays... that kind of thing. I found a website telling you how but it's like uber-long and confusing. So yeah... just a spiffy question for all you people from the UK.

Then if anyone has any idea on how to build a ship in the early 1900's or the kind of life in building a ship? I doubt any would know but it's worth a shot.

Last one.... Does any one know when people started getting cars in England. I'm assuming that they would have been shipped over from the US sometime after 1908 when the first car was made by Ford. I want to know when wealthy people started getting them if anyone happens to have that random bit of info.

Thanks guys! I hope there's some answers out there! It would greatly help my [unstarted] novel. :D
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:02 am
Snoink says...

I don't know about you, but I can't understand rules unless I see it live. Unfortunately, you live in Michigan. Fortunately, you have the internet. I looked up "videos of cricket" and I got this website: http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/cricket/. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. But at least you get to see it in action.

Ah, Britain! I looked this up, and it was a tricky bugger. Why? Because most of the websites were about America. Apparently, the British were rather slow on the uptake. "Great Britain (UK), slow to start, had legislated for the car in 1896 when the road speed limits were raised and soon such companies as Lanchester, Daimler (of Coventry), Wolseley and Napier were producing cars." ( http://members.tripod.com/~Eagle_Planet ... story.html )

So, that's why that information was probably hard to find. :)

But! Don't be fooled! Just because we began mass-producing cars doesn't mean that we shipped it to them. Germany was a fine place to get cars from, without the ocean seperating them. In fact, the reason why their cars evolved differently than ours is probably because we didn't ship ours out.

As far as building ships? Remember... Google is your friend.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 pm
Firestarter says...

Can anyone give me an easy-to-understand run through on how you play cricket? Basic rules... plays... that kind of thing. I found a website telling you how but it's like uber-long and confusing. So yeah... just a spiffy question for all you people from the UK.

Cricket is simply complicated. I don't think you'll be able to understand properly how the game works without watching it for a few hours with someone who knows all the rules. Sorry, but some research has to be done off the net. Do you get Sky Sports in America? Cos they show cricket all the time on that.

But! I'll do my best ...

Here is a simple explanation for ya: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

"Cricket is a sport. It is played between two teams of eleven players each who score points by running between two sets of three posts called wickets. Each of the wickets is at one end of a rectangle of flattened grass called the pitch. Around the pitch is a much larger oval of grass called the cricket ground.

One of the teams is called the batting team; they only have two players playing at any one time. The other team is called the fielding team who have all eleven of their players playing at any one time. The two players of the batting team stand at each end of the pitch in front of each wicket and, holding a bat, are called batsmen (or batswomen)......"

And there's a sample.

But I really think you have to watch cricket to understand it properly.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:52 pm
View Likes
yoha_ahoy says...

Thanks guys! I'll chck those out! :D
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob