z

Young Writers Society

Navy Ranks c. 1722

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:05 am
Elinor says...

A story I've been working on, Into the Depths, deals a lot with the navy. Midway through the story, one of the characters is recruited to it. I tried looking this up, but I found so many different lists, a lot of which only went up to the officer rank. So, in the early 1700s, what would have been the rank that new recruits to the navy would hold?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:35 am
Fishr says...

Likely, Midshipman. The Navy is not my area of expertice so-to-speak. That being said, to be part of the King's Navy was highly respected and put that family in very good standing in society/public(k) gatherings. To be part of the King's Army, ehhh... Not so shiny and pretty unless you work through the ranks - more highly thought of- or comissioned - lazy, haha, but respected because he is an Officer.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead