z

Young Writers Society

Names!

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:25 am
Apple says...

So, I've bugged mostly everyone in chat about this but I am still having problems with it. I need help with names, as you've probably already figured out. Why? Because I am terrible at them. Does anyone know any good name sites that don't feed B names when you've specifically clicked - like a gazillion times - Z!

Or if you know any good girls and boys names, they'd be gladly appreciated. :D You can't ignore that face...HELP IT!
I spy!

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:07 am
Jagged says...

My one true love when it comes to naming characters: Behindthename.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:09 pm
ultraviolet says...

MY one true love when it comes to names. Name_Meanings.com
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:20 am
LookUpThere says...

I think I should just say, don't have too many characters! Stick to region specific names - African characters with English names will either be named after famous people or have British names - for the previous generation anyway. Rather than pick a name, think about what kind of name you have.

Here's an interesting word for you aptronym! ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptronym ) It means a name that aptly suits the holder (e.g Usain Bolt - 100m Sprint Runner and Olympic Gold-Medallist) Alan Ball, The name of two English footballers (father and son), the latter played in the 1966 World Cup winning team.

Now you should never use outright aptronym but remember that different sounds imply different things. I had a superhuero named Lucas, out of the top of my head. He was basically a tall dark handsom guy. The letter L imples so AND Lucas means light in another language. Guess what his superpowers were...

L,S,C and thel ike imply calm, cool, etc. K,X,V imply harshness (Korvax the Killer! Lilac the Lover)

http://www.superheronation.com/2007/10/ ... otherwise/

199 Reviews

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:48 am
View Likes
Apple says...

Thanks guys! This is very helpful. :D
I spy!

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:53 am
Glimmerglass says...

The best thing to do when naming characters (in my opinion) is to give them interesting names that suit the character, but not a name like Thumbelina Sapphire Ladyfire, because that's just...insane. But a name like Bob or John is kind of boring. So maybe compromise between the two. Attention-grabbing but not over the top.

Good luck with the story! :D
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:31 pm
Tenyo says...

As the wonderful Shakespere once wrote: "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."

It's the character that matters, not the name. Don't worry too much about it, just be brave, pick a name, and go for it.

If you really can't stand it, you can still change it in five chapters time, so why not give your character a pet name to start with, and expand it to a full name, or find a reason for the nickname, when it comes to you.
We were born to be amazing.

199 Reviews

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm
Apple says...

Tenny, as always, you're a genious!

Glimmer, thank you so much for the advice. I'll follow through with everyones reccomendations, don't you worry! :D But I don't think you really are.
I spy!

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 pm
ToritheMonster says...

I love names! I personally always go for a meaning behind them. It is sometimes directly related to the character, sometimes the complete opposite. I suggest you check out the sites that have been suggested. If all else fails, Tenny's advice is good.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:45 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

This often used quote comes to mind, "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." by Mark Twain, and it's the exact opposite of the way you should look at names. People let little details like names tangle up writing too much, to the point that the name becomes an element of the writing, but since it's a name it's not very dynamic in post-modern writing (or whatever post-post we're in).

Quotes like the above get interpreted that EVERY element should be capitalized when writing in order to be successful; the truth is not so. Symbolism with names was popular over a hundred years ago, and I'm sorry, but I can take only so much Victorian writing and back before it's nauseating.

In most occasions, use your own judgment (even if you're bad with it, just write names down in a list you come up with).
For example, "Ed" is a boring, simple name. So is "Bob", "Larry", "Dave Jones", etc. Typical names, that is common names, carry an implication that is just as colorful as Rorschach in Watchmen, though. What's more important is the character's actual personality. This is what I'm really trying to emphasize in my post, and by extension view in the way you're looking at names; I dressed my post up with a quote and explained it, listed examples, but ultimately told you that the substance of what I'm explaining is much more important than surface details.

Hopefully that helps, and remember, write names down in a list, maybe you hear them on TV or in passing, and just choose one. Focus on their personality before your get to the little details.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:22 am
Idraax says...

I just make most of mine up. If I'm stuck on a name for a place, I'll use Google translator and pick a language that sounds good.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

199 Reviews

Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 am
Apple says...

Thanks everyone for the advice! That was a very large help. I've managed to get good names without stressing my brain out! :D And that's a really good idead; translater! Mmmm, I've got to try it. :D
I spy!

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 pm
Idraax says...

You're welcome. Don't worry about naming your characters too much. I'll let you in on a little secret. I didn't figure out my main character's name for my novel-in-the-works until the second scene. :) So, don't worry about it too much.
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James