z

Young Writers Society

Domestic Abuse Education

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 pm
JFW1415 says...

So my friend and I started a non-profit organization called Teens Against Domestic Abuse (TADA) a few months ago after receiving a grant from a program called Youth Venture, and we're trying to get a little bit of information on what kind of education the average person has on domestic abuse. You don't need any facts, just your previous experience.

1) What do you think the biggest gaps in domestic abuse education are?

2) Do you know the definition of domestic abuse?

3) Do you know what resources are available to someone in a violent situation?

4) Did your health class ever bring up domestic abuse?

5) Anything else about your education of abuse.

Thanks so much!

~JFW1415

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 pm
Tenyo says...

1) I think not enough people know the signs to look out for.

2) Abuse that happens within a household?

3) I'm sure google could throw something my way, but generally not.

4) We never had health classes

5) I know that there are adverts and stuff that aim to raise money for things like domestic abuse, but I think it would be helpful to know more about how someone can help, apart from calling services, like how to be there for them or help them avoid dangerous situations.
We were born to be amazing.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:32 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

1) Agreeing with Ten that there isn't enough education to identify the signs. Also, often times domestic abuse is portrayed as solely physical, which is not true. In addition, it is not as widely acknowledged that men can be victims of domestic abuse as well; the emphasis is mostly on women.

2) I don't know the technical definition, but I do know that it can be verbal and psychological in addition to physical, and that often one form of abuse is tied to/leads into another.

3) Yes. Since I am staff at a community college and there have been domestic abuse issues in the past among the students, I have been informed of various resources to guide students I suspect might be domestically abused to. However, practically all of these resources are geared towards women, and I personally can't think of any that have resources for male victims.

4) No.

5) The fact that there are male victims of domestic abuse is often brushed aside, much like the fact that men can get breast cancer, and it irks me. There is so much emphasis placed on female victims of domestic abuse, and male victims have nowhere near the number of resources as female victims. Generally, if a male victim were to admit to being abused, he gets written off as being a wimp/it's not as serious as a woman being domestically abused, which makes it even more difficult for an abused male to ever admit their abuse and seek help.

Basically, in my personal experience, male abuse victims are often sidelined, unintentionally though it may be, in the name of helping female abuse victims.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:08 am
MadameX says...

1) Probably, as Kyllorac said, the lack of emphasis on male victims or gay couples. Also, emotional and mental abuse is sadly neglected in education.

2) abuse between two people in a relationship.

3) Domestic Abuse Hotline, Child Protective Services.

4) A little, but not much at all.
[url]thelibrarygirl.blogspot.com[/url] Everything Weird Happens at the Library

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson