z

Young Writers Society

Divorces effects on children

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:44 pm
screamandshout says...

Ok this is something that's been on my mind lately. I've been thinking about writing a short story about a 14 year old girl, whose parents are going through a divorce. But, I want it to be fairly accurate. To her friends, she seems like the girl everyone wants to be. Pretty, a lot of friends, pretty smart, but thy don't know what's really going on at home. Her parents are still living in the same house, so there would be a lot of fighting.

Anyway, I don't really know to much about this, but when I get a new idea it bugs me until I break down and write it, so some help would be appreciated

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:16 pm
View Likes
canislupis says...

Here is a good link on negative affects of divorce.

Here is another one.

Hope I helped!

Lupis

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:45 pm
Talulahbelle says...

I'm no expert on this stuff, but my parents divorced when I was around nine. If you want to pm me, I'd be happy to tell you a bit about how it was for me and my brother. We were in that sorta perfect family image thing, too. Our family was really prominent in our small town and we were suppose to play our roles, you know?
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 am
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

screamandshout wrote:Ok this is something that's been on my mind lately. I've been thinking about writing a short story about a 14 year old girl, whose parents are going through a divorce. But, I want it to be fairly accurate. To her friends, she seems like the girl everyone wants to be. Pretty, a lot of friends, pretty smart, but thy don't know what's really going on at home. Her parents are still living in the same house, so there would be a lot of fighting.

First, don't ensure your main character becomes a Mary Sue.

Second, divorce is a heavy thing. Obviously my personal experience is nowhere close to what you want to write, but here goes:

Spoiler! :
My mother and father were married for a long time. As a normal child, I don't know for how long :P But basically, when I was in year 3, 2000, my mother and father decided that they should go out and find other people, whilst still being married as playmates or whatever the hell they were thinking :3

So dad had his little concubine, and mum rustled up some old pen pal. Needless to say, this "break from marriage life" ended whatever shred of a relationship my parents had with each other, and mum started to live and visit and bring home this guy.

My dad tolerated it, because, hey, it was equally his and her idea, so when you make your bed, lie in it. Eventually over the course of the next two years, The Guy sold his house from the town he lived in, and bought a house with my mother down the street from where my dad lived.

What can I say? Dad and The Guy were wary of each other, but could get along as they shared the same affection for my mother (not saying that my mother shared herself between them...). But mum and dad didn't get a divorce. So from 2000 - 2004, mum, Dad and The Guy were just living like they did, dad taking care of me and my sister when we were at his house, mum and The Guy taking care of us when we were at his house.

Then dad's work place shut down, so we moved states, and Mum and The Guy followed because mum still loved us, you know. So mum and The Guy moved to this country town, that was 25 minutes away from this other country town that Dad moved to, and my sister and I ended up going to school in a town that was at the apex of the triangle, 30 minutes either way from the two country towns.

Mum and Dad were still not divorced. Not even when mum became pregnant and had a boy in 2005.

Mum and The Guy fought a lot. Over nothing it seemed. Mum and Dad never fought at all. The Guy and Dad fought sometimes over my sister and I, and where we'd be staying that week etc.

It was only this year, 2010, 10 years after my mother and father decided to find other partners, that my parents divorced. And about a month later my mother and The Guy were married in a ceremony that Dad attended. The groom arrived by helicopter, and the bride by quadbike.

So yeah.

Divorce is very different for all of us.

Thanks for letting me share my life story.

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:06 pm
jDawn says...

I'm no expert on divorce but a lot of my very close friends parent's are divorced.

Spoiler! :
My friend's parents never really got along well. But their oldest child is fourteen. They started having more and more fights as the years went on and it seemed my friend's mom got harsher and harsher on the kids. Almost seeming like she was taking her anger out on the kids. She was very strict anyway and even when my friend's sister couldn't figure out what she wanted on her sandwich in the McDonald's parking lot her mom said this:" Do I have to beat the crap out of you right in this car?!" Really loud, getting everything on her sandwich after that.

Her dad seemed as if he had finally got sick of the whole family and kicked everybody but himself out of the house. It seemed to me selfish and he even kicked the kids out. And they aren't bad kids from what I've seen. So, they were forced to find a new home. : (

I hope I helped! : D

- Jessica
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus