Young Writers Society

Christianity?

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 pm
ofir says...

Hi :D
So, I really need help.
1. What's the main concept of Christianity to you?
2. What's the difference between a priest and a preacher?
3. Does being a preacher mean that you go around, preaching, or can you stay in the same place?
4. Is there anything specific you noticed religous people do?
5. Does being a preacher require some sort of title from someone?
6. What do you know about preachers?
7. What are your thoughts about Christianity?

Thank you! Any answer would be appreciated!!!
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:07 pm
View Likes
Talulahbelle says...

Okay.. this is some hard stuff to answer, but I'll do my best. Keep in mind that religion is different for everyone and we may all have different views.
1. For me the main concept is to accept that Jesus was the son of God, the Messiah, and my own personal savior. Its to follow his teachings as best I can.
2. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I think that Priests are more Catholic and Preachers are more...non-catholic, like baptist and stuff.
3. I've never met a preacher that traveled like that. Mostly, they settle into one church and preach to that congregation. Now, missionaries do travel - to other countries and everything - "spreading the word".
4. This all depends on how deep into their religion they are. I know a woman who doesn't cut her hair, always wears skirts and long sleeves, and prays ALL THE TIME. She takes the bible very literally and is heavy into her religion. On the other end of the spectrum, I hardly ever go to church, and I've never read the bible all the way through - but, I pray every night and I have been saved. I look at religion as more of a personal relationship between myself and God, so I take it really losely and casually. Now, if you want to know about people in between here goes (keep in mind that I live in the South - the Bible-Belt - so things may be a little different in other places) I notice that older women will get on to you for saying the lord's name in vain, they quote the bible frequently, they bake alot and will try to recruit anyone they meet to go to their church. The younger members of the church can get really defensive about thing - well they all can but I've seen it happen more with the young people. They can argue they view until they're blue in the face and still not give up. Also, some people tend to use the bible as a weapon and ignore the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. They can be really harsh in their judgements of other people.
5. I think you can go to college to become one. Some people get their title from the internet, but whatever. Yes, you have to do something to become a minister.
6. Not really much, they tend to make me nervous.
7. Thoughts? I don't know. I think that sometimes people distort what the religion is all about, but that's just me. I'm super liberal...

I hope this helped! Sorry if it wasn't what you needed or meant!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:58 pm
ultraviolet says...

Note: These are my personal beliefs, and will reflect my experiences as a Christian and one who has grown up in a church-going family.

1. Like Talulah said, to be a Christian you must first accept that Jesus died for you sins and accept him into your heart. Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. You do not have to go to church every week, become a pastor or missionary, pass out pamphlets, or do any of that stuff. All you have to do is believe that Christ has paid for your sins and accept the free gift of eternal life.

2. I'm not sure there really is one. The first thing that comes to mind when you say priest is some catholic guy in white robes with a tall pointy hat who passes out wine for communion. My church has a pastor, or preacher, who talks every week to the congregation. There might be a specific difference, but I am unsure what it is.

3. Generally, preachers find a church that they preach at every Sunday or so. Someone who travels places to preach is a missionary.

4. Religious people tend to think that if you do good, follow certain rules, and lead an overall good life you'll get to heaven. Again, Christianity is not a religion, but a relationship. To be a Christian, and you really have to do is accept Christ into your heart. Beyond that, it's up to you. Something to think about is, when you have a good friend, you want to do nice things for them and you care what they think, right? In the same way, when you are a Christian you start wanting to do good and to grow closer to God. That doesn't make living right easier, but with God's help it's doable.

5. I believe you have to go to college to get a degree for it. What you specifically have to do, I'm not sure.

6. Well, it's their job to, during the week, prepare a sermon. Then on Sunday they preach it to the congregation. They also take communion, give baptisms, teach Sunday school, and other things like that.

7. There is only one god, and believing in Christ is the only way to heaven.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

loveness, dia
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:00 am
LittlePetRock says...

Have. Faith. In. God. Follow his word, pray, don't commit sins, and tell others about his love.

A priest/father follows more along the Catholicism belief, whereas a preacher/pastor follows more of the Protestant.

3. Does being a preacher mean that you go around, preaching, or can you stay in the same place?
There is what's called as the five-fold ministry. As follows:
Apostle: Apostles start the church. They move around when God tells them to do so.
Prophet: Prophets show of things to come according to the word of God. A true prophet will not confess (or as referred to by the atheistic world as 'foresee') something that does not line up with the Bible. (Read John 10:10 for starters)
Preacher: A preacher leads the church (or flock, as referred to by Christians), they take care of normal church affairs. These type do not move around often, but more stay and care for the congregation.
Evangelist: An evangelist comes to the church to 'awaken' or 'revive'. Most oftenly referred to as a guest speaker. These type of ministers move around often.
Missionary: Missionaries move around quite often. They go to different areas of the world to preach salvation, and guide new believers to a church. Some missionaries move far away, or stay close to home, some may stay for only a week, some may stay for years.

4. Is there anything specific you noticed religious people do?
Yes. Yes. And yes. Too many to list.

Yes and no. Many preachers don't. My father (Yes, I'm a pastor's daughter) has both ordainment and a college degree. Did you know that only ordained ministers can preform funerals, but you don't have to be ordained to preform a wedding?

The good, the bad, and the horrid. I'm a PK, I've seen it all.

As a whole? Totally wonderful. I admit, society has messed up views of it through denominationalism. But I feel my denomination is the right way to God.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me anytime! I know TONS about Christianity.
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:46 am
seeminglymeaningless says...

ofir wrote:Hi :D So, I really need help.

lol me too, maybe you could help me with my research as well, in this same forum :D

As a semi-pretend-attended church randomly through my life-Christian, Christianity means that as long as you repent, you will go to heaven. I believe in heaven, and a higher-being, but I don't believe in everything Christianity claims. There's a clause somewhere in the Bible that says homosexuals should be put to death. Understandably, the Bible is not always right :)

A preacher is someone I would consider a "Bible-thumper" someone who tries to drill Christianity and it's morals into you, tries to shove it down your throat. A priest is someone who believes in God and tries to convert you, but will accept if you don't want to be converted.

Um... That's a random question, but I guess preachers can go where they please.

Besides pray before dinner, and attend Church on Sundays? Generally people who are devoutly religious are very kind and follow the morals of the religion very thoroughly. A virgin until marriage, for example.

Nope. Preaching is talking, and the last time I checked, you didn't need a title to talk :P

To be honest, not a lot. I assume you were looking for all sides of the spectrum here, and I'm the side that knows of religion but doesn't bask in it.

I believe that believing in something is better than not being in it because it can't be proven. "Prove that God exists!" says one of my friends, and I always reply, "Prove that he doesn't." Atheists are sad people; those who hold no beliefs hold no hope. It only takes a small amount of effort to believe that there was someone there once a upon a time, and that there is a heaven and hell. And besides, "I tried being an atheist once, but there weren't enough holidays."

Twas no problem :D

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:10 pm
TheBard says...

ofir wrote:Hi :D
So, I really need help.

1. You believe in Jesus.
2. A priest is Catholic, a preacher is everything else.
3. It depends on you.
4. Praying, trying to make me religious.
5. No, I think that being a preacher means that you preach the word of Christ.
6. I don't know much other then that their are Christan leaders.
7. I don't really care either way so long they don't bug me for having my beliefs.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:18 pm
Kiwisatsuma says...

Okay, well, I had a religious upbringing (my mum's a vicar) but I don't believe in God, so.. yeah, that's my perpective on it.

Following Christ is the basis of it. The most important commandments are 'love God and love your neighbour (anyone and everyone)' It's about being part of a community and spreading God's love. There are lots of different branches of the church and some are more liberal, some are more conservative but it all comes down to that, or it should.

I think a priest is someone in charge of a church and parish, while preaching is spreading God's word from the Gospel. So, priests do that every week in their sermons, but you don't have to be ordained to preach, you can be trained as a reader and then you can preach sermons, or if you're a curate (trainee priest) then you preach sometimes. But I guess it doesn't have to be a proper official sermon to be counted as preaching.

Well, if you're a priest then you'll preach at the church you're in charge of, except when you're invited to preach in other churches. I guess there are a few people who travel round preaching but it's not very common any more. It was done much more often in Jesus' time - Jesus did it, for a start, and John the Baptist and St Paul and the disciples who founded the early church.

Well, yes. Do you mean in terms of actions, or general behaviour? Catholics often cross themselves if they pass a religious place or during a service etc. That's the most obvious one but there isn't a 'spotters guide to Christians'; it's more about personal beliefs.

Officially preaching to a congregation is part of a vicar's job, as I said. To be a vicar you have to be approved and then go on training and you're ordained as a curate (like a trainee who works at a church and does pretty much the same as the priest, but isn't in charge) and you do that for three years and then you get ordained by a bishop and are given a church to work at. Anyone can set themselves up as a preacher and go round proclaiming stuff but they're unlikely to be taken seriously unless they're ordained. I suppose if someone was very charismatic they could gain a cult following but they wouldn't be part of the mainstream. Being a missionary is different again. That used to mean converting people but now it means going to places in need of help and volunteering, building schools, that kind of thing.

Not much that I haven't already said. It really depends what you think of when you say preacher.

Hmm. Well, I guess it's about believing that Jesus is your saviour, that he died for our sins, that there is a God up there who works for good and loves you, and that when you die you go to heaven. I'd really like to believe it all but I just don't. If I choose a religion it would be Christianity though because I believe that its message of love is really relevant to today's society in the way other religions aren't so much. I guess it's familiar to me though, having grown up going to church.

:)

“I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables