z

Young Writers Society

What makes someone annoying?

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:40 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Hey guys. I'm writing a character that I want to be annoying - but in the way that he's always too nice and never makes a mistake - essentially he's a mary-sue I guess.... any suggestions? What are some things that you find annoying?
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 pm
ofir says...

Hi :D
Here are some things that I think would bug a lot of people:

Trying to please everyone. And suceeding.

Gets an invite to all the parties, leads a great social life, but is also Mom's goodie little munchkin.

Perfect grades without trying.

Is being too understanding when you get a bad grade. Like offering to teach you and such.

Hmm... what else. Speaks like an annoying Disney character. [Don't get me wrong, I love Disney, but it just doesn't work in real life]

Everyone knows him.

Too reliable. Does that make sense? I mean, for example, someone who plans all the parties. You know if you hand him something he'll be all over it - but at a certain point, you want to do better.

Umm... I really can't think of anything else that is both good and annoying. I can give you plain annoying if you want, but then the person will have to have faults - like being bossy, or a perfectionist.
Hope this helped!
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:14 pm
Lauren2010 says...

To really accentuate this particular characters annoying-ness, makes sure the other characters would find his personality annoying. If they're annoyed, then the feeling is much more likely to transfer to the reader.

Also, I always find it annoying when someone never seems to be unhappy. I know a girl who is just so optomistic and happy all the time, it never seems like anything bad ever happens to her. It's very annoying.
Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

I personally think you should worry less about what other people would consider annoying and focus on what your character would consider annoying. My list of annoying things is much different from everybody else's (stuff like a superiority complex and no tolerance for people's ways of life), and my reaction is probably different as well.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:41 am
Sassafras says...

Perfect people annoy me. You know, the nice, cute, funny, and generous ones. It's not that I don't like their persona, it's just simply the fact that I can't find anything to hate them for. They're annoying because I can't dislike them.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:15 am
ToritheMonster says...

Just being too... perfect. Like never, ever breaking a rule. Not a hair out of place. Speaks only in direct, clear, quiet phrases. Has obviously never cussed. Is incredibly respectful of everyone. Excels at everything he/she does... not because he/she is good, but because he/she just manages to impress all the adults in charge. Had bad fashion sense. But clothes are always impeccably tucked, trimmed, and neat. Sits so straight, you could swear they have a pole in their back. Smells like soap. Old person soap. You know that kind of soap? Maybe I sound crazy.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm
Tenyo says...

I'm guessing you mean traits that will make an annoying character, not just one that will make your story annoying to read.

I find the best way to do this is to show it in the way he and the other characters interact. For example, the stereotypical dashing young man who is witty and funny, so he's enjoyable to read about, but he keeps breaking the girls heart, which makes him as annoying as blunt scissors.

On the other hand if you're trying to break the mary-sue image, there's a few tips for making someone hatable. Someone who breaks promises is my favourite. He could also have a negetive prejudice, nobody likes a racist. Pushing children or hurting animals works really well too. Engrave this trait into him, and give him no excuse for it.
We were born to be amazing.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:58 pm
Carlito says...

People that only think about themselves or always try to make things about themselves are super annoying.

People that can't take criticism or a joke are super annoying.

And I agree with what was said above about the overly nice. I mean, some people are genuinely really nice to everyone, but a lot of the time, it's really fake. Fake people are annoying.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:37 am
Glimmerglass says...

I find that people (or characters) that are too nice are SO ANNOYING. They're always doing the right thing, always having the answer. This is obnoxious and annoying to us mere mortals. Also, brown-nosing teachers or adults. This is just unpleasant. Perfect people make the best annoying characters; just keep it obvious that he's supposed to be that way, and not simply a heroic Gary Stu. Good luck with the story! :D
"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."
~Winnie the Pooh

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:42 pm
LookUpThere says...

Annoying:
Waking up in the morning with nothing to do (Not even gazing at flowers) but nonetheless waking up.
Sucking at everything and wining about it.
Rocking at everything and being darn modest!
Never saying anything until the big moment, then you reveal the truth that saves the world (Goku) already having gotten thousands killed.
Edward Cullen's sparkle.

Be sure to make the character annoying - not your writing! He shouldn't be a mary sue, he should be a bad character written well.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 am
View Likes
Azula says...

People who consider themselves better then everybody else and vocalize this opinion are extremely annoying. That's about all I can think of right now.
They, are not your MUFFINS!!!!!!!!!! - John Worthing/Ernest Moncrieff (The importance of being Ernest)

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:01 am
Calligraphy says...

I agree with what everyone else has said. People who are way to willing to help with something like a bad grade and offer to teach you or whatever like people have said, also people who when you ask for help take over the whole project and do it much better than you could have.

A. S.

147 Reviews

Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:34 am
LookUpThere says...

Cal, so true.

147 Reviews

Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 pm
Tigersprite says...

If you want to make a character annoying, model them after Spongebob Squarepants, or yes, a Disney character. :)

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:20 am
Maddy says...

The thing that really bugs me is someone who over-exagerrates kindness to their superiors, and over-exagerrates nastiness to their inferiors. For example, take a bratty child. She sweet-talks when the adults are watching, and when they leave, she controls everyone and takes off that nice demeanor.
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown