z

Young Writers Society

Need latin translation stuff

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm
RayquazaKid says...

Hey all. I came up with a fleet of ships for a story of mine. The names are based on the Pandora's Box mythos. However, to disguise the fact they are linked, I wanted the names to be in latin.

So I used an online translator to see what I could find. This is what I got.

Hope – Spero

Lust - May Traverse
Gluttony – Abdomen
Sloth - Socors
Wrath – Ira
Greed – Cupiditas
Pride - Superbia
Envy - Invidia

However, since it is an online translator, I am not sure if these are accurate. And, i'd like these to be as close to what they should be as possible. Can someone validate these translations for me? And if they are wrong, can someone give me the correct translation?
Call me RK :)

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:26 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

I'm not too sure about translating these myself, but this website allows you to search for names, see their origins, what they mean, etc. You can also search for names that mean a certain thing, which is what you'll probably need, I think.

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

Check it out! :D Hope that helps.
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

30 Reviews

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 am
View Likes
RayquazaKid says...

Sorry, that site didn't help me in the least bit. A couple didn't even have meanings, others were the antonym, and others yet had the meaning but were not in latin.

And I don't think anyone would really name a baby a name that translates to a deadly sin.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 pm
canislupis says...

I'm not sure about how to help you with this, but I thought I'd mention that "abdomen" needs to be changed as that means stomach in English, lol. (unless that's what you wanted... hmm.)

Try translating the Latin back into English to see what you get--sometimes that helps validate it. Also, a simple google search of "onilne translators" should give you several options, so you could always repeat it with more than one.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and good luck. :D

Lupis

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 pm
RayquazaKid says...

^^^ Gave me the idea to look at a latin dictionary. Probably should have tried that first.

And I came across a page that gave me the names.

Hope- Spero

Lust - Luxuria
Gluttony – Gula
Sloth - Acedia
Wrath – Ira
Greed – Avaritia
Pride - Superbia
Envy - Invidia

So, turns out I had half of them right. It's better than none.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Despite everything, it's still you.
— TobyFox