Need help finding information!

Reviews: 4
Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 am
danster724 says...

So I'm looking for some info on the following topics:

-Group Homes for homeless teens/troubled teens

-Juvenile detention centers ESPECIALLY Tryon center in NY

-Gangs/violence/dangers of NY City ESPECIALLY brownsville

Any documentaries, articles, info dumps or websites you guys might find would help A LOT. Thanks a ton you guys.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:43 pm
Kale says...

Have you tried your local library or community college? They should have books on the subject, and if they don't, they can easily get a hold of them. Most libraries and community colleges also subscribe to various online databases that contain peer-reviewed articles about most subjects. A sociological database would most likely have the information you want.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:38 pm
Jagged says...

If you have lots of time on your hands and don't mind wading through a lot of stuff that'd be completely useless to you, you could also check the different threads on little_details tagged as prison (which includes juvie), USA: Government law (misc), USA: Government/Law Enforcement, law (misc) and law enforcement (misc). There's a chance you can find some of the info you need in already-answered threads, and otherwise, if you really really need an answer and google/books/etc don't yield the answers you want, you can, as last resort, ask there yourself (you'll need a LJ account though).
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:36 am
danster724 says...

I'm in the Philippines right now and we don't really do the local library thing here. My school does have a library but it wouldn't have the kind of information I'm looking for. It's not so much government and law information that I'm looking for, except for the Tryon Residential Center, I'm more intersted in finding a website with compounded stories of teenagers in such environments or articles about similar situations. I've found most of what I need on my own by this point though and thanks for your help.
"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman