z

Young Writers Society

Time Travel Survey

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:42 pm
peanut19 says...

1. Where would you travel to?
Um, I always wanted to go back to Salem for the witch trials. So I'd go back to 1692

2. Would you time travel for vacation?
Um, probably. Most of the vacations I go on are like to historical places like Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. So going back to when the stuff actually happened would be cool.

3. Would you ever consider moving, and living the rest of your life out, in a different time period?
Maybe. It'd depend on the time period. I love the technology of today but maybe if it wasn't that far in the past or to far in the future I'd consider it.

4. Would you be concerned with the safety of time travel, or accept the government's word that it's safe?

Um, I may only be 14 but I know the government lies about some stuff (like aliens, kidding) so I'd be like Rosey and learn as much as I could about it before time traveling.

5. Do you have any moral/philosophical/other reasons why you would disagree with time travel, and humanity's ability to do so?
Nope, although my faith in the human's ability might keep me from doing it....

6. Would you worry that time traveling could pose some health risk to you or others that the government has yet to discover because it hasn't existed for a long enough time period? (say, 20 years)

Well, I would think that if you were traveling forwards or backwards into other time periods there would be a risk of catching an illness there, wouldn't there? And if you were in the future I would think the risk would be greater because the present wouldn't have a treatment for diseases caught that haven't existed yet.

7. What reason might you decide to continue living in the "present" instead of time traveling? (different from Q5 in that this might be a more personal, physical thing - family, friends, you're used to that style of living.)

Well family could always come where ever you time travel, I'm assuming. But my style of living (and my family's) might keep me here.

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's ability time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done?
Well, I'm not really sure how you would do it but I would think if you time travel and mess things up in a different time period it would alter other things in the present and future (unless it's like Lost where you can't change the past and all that confusion.) Maybe you could have people sent back in time to monitor each time period, people who blend in with the people from that time and would be able to spot the ones who traveled there?

Hope that helps, good luck on your novel!
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:07 pm
JFW1415 says...

Time travel or regular travel? I would want to travel everywhere! Europe, Japan, Africa, anywhere different. (I’m from the USA). I would want to time travel to the future to see what happens to the world. I would also travel to a time where there is confusion. I would spy on people... figure out who really killed this person, if he really had an affair, etc.

Probably. People vacation for relaxation. I bet people in the 19th century would have loved to spend a vacation on a cruise ship with laptops and movies; it can only get better! Or I could go to a more peaceful, relaxed world.

3. Would you ever consider moving, and living the rest of your life out, in a different time period?
Maybe. At the moment, I think I like the time period I’m in, but it could all go south. But it would be weird to leave everyone.

4. Would you be concerned with the safety of time travel, or accept the government's word that it's safe?
I would wait a couple of years to make sure it is safe. I would see if there were ay side effects or what-not, and if it seemed safe, I’d be all set.

5. Do you have any moral/philosophical/other reasons why you would disagree with time travel, and humanity's ability to do so?
There’s always the whole “you can’t change the past”, “you shouldn’t live in the past”, “past mistakes make you you”, and all that. But you said we couldn’t actually change the past; we’d basically be observing it. So I don’t see the harm in that?

6. Would you worry that time traveling could pose some health risk to you or others that the government has yet to discover because it hasn't existed for a long enough time period? (say, 20 years)
I think I’d just wait maybe 5 years to try it out... maybe less. If we’re smart enough to time travel, we’re smart enough to fix the problems. Then again, I don’t have anyone tying me to the world, like a kid. A mother would probably have more reservations than I do.

7. What reason might you decide to continue living in the "present" instead of time traveling? (different from Q5 in that this might be a more personal, physical thing - family, friends, you're used to that style of living.)
I think I’m more comfortable here. You see adults trying to fit in to teenagers’ lives all the time, but they have no idea how to; I think that’s what it would be like. Also, my friends and family are here. Sure, I could make new friends, but I wouldn’t want to lose my brother or mom.

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's abbility time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done?
I feel like it should be like a vacation. Kids have to go with parents, you need to make reservations, you have to leave eventually, it’s very expensive, etc. I don’t think you should be able to stay forever, and I think you should have to go somewhere (like an airport) to actually time travel, so you can be checked out first.

Hope this helped! You said in your blog that you wanted more answers, so I came over. =]

~JFW1415

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm
ShelraofWaral says...

Ice Age was always a fascinating period for me, I did travel to the Ice Age period as its always surprising to see exotic species of plants and animals that are already extinct. I think I will take a chance to watch the prehistoric human beings and their lifestyles.

Hmm, It depends. If the present age proves to be a dangerous place for mankind and threatens the security of the world(Iran scheme as well as terrorist propaganda), I will definitely go back to a safe period. 8)

3. Would you ever consider moving, and living the rest of your life out, in a different time period
Wow, I wish it was possible, but I think there is a risk in that too. The earlier life styles and the ancient inhabitants of an early period might be affected with this type of immigration. But, If the power of time travel was in my hands, I would go alone :wink:

I don't think I will trust the government's words. But, there will be volunteers to try out the machine. And if it works, it is the headache of the scientists to calculate its safety and risk factors. I think one possibility there is to rule out which periods are safe to go and which are not.

Firstly, I doubt on the humans ability. I don't think they will ever control time. Time and Death are beyond the realms of Science.(But not outside Fiction, Its fun to imagine though). Anyway, if there is really another Frankenstein who have figured out how to create a time travelling machine, then it will surely create all sorts of legal and moral issues. The people will took to crimes and will escape the punishment by travelling back.

Yes, It will. Going Back to a period where a person isn't prone to will itself create all sorts of health problems.(headache, nausea,back pain, dizziness etc.) Otherwise, the radiations that will be employed in the machine and then exposed to humans is also a health risk factor.(I think every scientific gadget employs some sort of radiations).

I don't think we will actually love the kind of life that our ancestors have lived. I think the this present age has provided many useful facilities to human life that the previous generations were devoid of. I will really not want to sleep with an Air Conditioner in my room. And yea, talking about rooms, we will not expect prehistoric man welcoming us in brand luxury hotels. :smt002

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's abbility time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done?

The Government itself will be interested, and he will be the first person to use the time travel machine. Anyway, This Technology is very tacky to use. Some people may refrain from it others may abuse it. I think the Government should plan this in terms of financial way. He should put a ticket to the ride(much like in an amusement park) and also limit the time spend by each Time Traveller Tourist. This way the power of this machine can be regulated.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope it help :wink:
Best Luck on your upcoming Novel. xD
"The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. ~~
Steven Covey "

"For me, writing is a world where I am desperately trying to find my voice"

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:04 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I'd probably go visit colonial america.

Probably. It would be extremely fascinating.

No

I would definitely be concerned. It seems that there could be the potential of not all of one person being fully transported through time. I'd hate to turn up back in the present with some strange mutation or lack of a limb.

And then there's the possibility of dieing an untimely death in whatever time period one traveled to (a war for example).

The potential that something disastrous could be caused by dim-witted time travelers would certainly bother me.

See question four. Also, not having the appropriate methods of treating diseases that died out or were eradicated way back in time would pose a problem if people traveled to then and caught some strange illness.

I would miss family and friends, of course, and certain modern conveniences. Though, mostly, I don't think I could handle the unfamiliarity in the end.

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's ability time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done?
There ought to be very strict regulations and restrictions regarding who can travel, where they can travel, and for how long they can travel. First, there's the whole potential for time being really screwed up by someone stupid traveling back in time and doing something stupid.

Second, it seems that someone of the criminal persuasion could take advantage of this system. Goods could be trafficked through time and sold in the present if restrictions weren't placed on what can be brought to and from the present time. Someone evading the law could also use time travel to conveniently disappear in time if some sort of regulation or tracking system wasn't placed on time travelers.

A person should have to be licensed or certified to time travel. They should be very familiar with the time they plan to travel to and be well versed in all the ways they could potentially disrupt time. One should not be able to personally own the required machinery and technology to time travel (though this would potentially still happen), it should all be owned by the government. One should be restricted to a certain amount of time to travel and must return in that amount of time, and you should not be able to bring things back and forth other than what is absolutely necessary for life.
Got YWS?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:32 pm
LittlePrincess says...

The 50s and just hang out there
Maybe, but probably not
Yes, a lot of times I feel like we are too relient on technology so I would go before that
I would be very concerned, especially when it was new.
If people in the past learn about time travel then that would be really weird, I'm not completly sure if that answers your question.. I just think so much could happen, and if everyone could go back and fix mistakes then a whole part of life would no longer exist.
Do you mean if one were to go back and get smallpox or something? Because that is possible
Well I am too adjusted to life now, like going back in time and not having computers or a cell phone (which I am admittidly addicted too) and society was/will be different.
Hmm, well it shouldn't be that everyone has their own personal one, because everybody going back whenever they please would mess things up. Rather, they should keep track of who goes where and when.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 am
Merlin34 says...

1. Where would you travel to? - Probably Ancient Greece or the Permian Era.

2. Would you time travel for vacation? - Heck yes.

3. Would you ever consider moving, and living the rest of your life out, in a different time period? - Probably not.

4. Would you be concerned with the safety of time travel, or accept the government's word that it's safe? - If I had reason to believe that it was unsafe, I would be.

5. Do you have any moral/philosophical/other reasons why you would disagree with time travel, and humanity's ability to do so? - As long as it isn't being used to kill people, that's fine with me.

6. Would you worry that time traveling could pose some health risk to you or others that the government has yet to discover because it hasn't existed for a long enough time period? (say, 20 years) - No.

7. What reason might you decide to continue living in the "present" instead of time traveling? (different from Q5 in that this might be a more personal, physical thing - family, friends, you're used to that style of living.) - Not sure.

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's abbility time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done? - No altering the past or killing people.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:31 am
RayquazaKid says...

The type of universe you have is the one with clear loops. I actually wrote a short story utilizing this kind of time functioning a while back. I don't know if I ever posted it. The Black Sabbeth song "Iron Man" is also based on this principle.

Anyways,

1. Where would you travel to? - Don't get me wrong, I am concerned for my safety. That being said, the European Theater of WWII, because I'd like to see the battles up close.

2. Would you time travel for vacation? - Sure, if it means an extra few weeks of vacation. ;)

3. Would you ever consider moving, and living the rest of your life out, in a different time period? - Yes, I'd definitely move to a point in time where humanity hasn't screwed up.

4. Would you be concerned with the safety of time travel, or accept the government's word that it's safe? - There is absolutely no way of telling in-universe what kind of effect time travel would have on the temporal arrow. Therefore, no.

5. Do you have any moral/philosophical/other reasons why you would disagree with time travel, and humanity's ability to do so? - If you go into the future of your lifetime, you'll be able to see how you did. There is such a thing as knowing too much about your future.

6. Would you worry that time traveling could pose some health risk to you or others that the government has yet to discover because it hasn't existed for a long enough time period? (say, 20 years) - Actually no. I've never heard of it having health risks. Though I could possibly contract a long dead diesease...

7. What reason might you decide to continue living in the "present" instead of time traveling? (different from Q5 in that this might be a more personal, physical thing - family, friends, you're used to that style of living.) - Because I believe that is how life should be lived.

8. What regulations, if any, do you think the government should place on one's abbility time traveling? What kind of "policing" should be done? - You must know about any major events that take place where you are going, so you cannot possibly interfere with them.
Call me RK :)

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:59 pm
Lavvie says...

I've been forever interested in the Arthurian times, where there were supposedly Druids and women were valued above men. I think it would be interesting to see what the times were like and meet characters such as Queen Gwenhwyfar and Morgaine. I've done research, as you can tell :P

For me, I wouldn't do it for vacation, or else I'd buy a plane or train ticket and head to Ireland in present day. I would never time travel to vacation, but instead time travel for education and interest, as I said to question #1.

I do wish it sometimes, but only when I am blind to the problems that time faced. If ever, I would probably travel back in time to the Ottoman Empire at its fullest, to witness the sultan and his Harem. Or maybe when the Ottoman Empire incorporated the Celts, as it is said the Celts are traced back to Turkey.

I would definitely be concerned with time travel, and that is why I'd go to places I trust and am knowledgable about. I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the Black Plague or something!

I don't see why I would.

Possibly. Maybe the electricity or static would fry our insides? We can't know until we study :)

I might stay here so as not to lose my own family or friends, but also to be safe. As I said earlier, I wouldn't want to be stuck in the Black Plague. What a terrible way to die.

Probably people who were trained in using the machines should operate them, and a license needed to travel. All futuristic guesses...

find your aesthetic and flaunt it
— manilla