z

Young Writers Society

Death?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:55 pm
View Likes
NYCnightowl007 says...

Hey I have a bit of a weird question, so bear with me; Has anyone ever lost a sibling, or known someone that has and doesn't mind talking about it? In my novel, my MC looses his twin sister in a car crash and since I have been fortunate enough to have never gone through something like this, I have no idea what the initial reaction would be. My basic two questions would be how long does it really take to really get over it and what was the initial reaction like? Thanks bunches. :smt001

-Chrissie
"I’m usually that guy who violently kicks off his shoes at the front door because there’s something about fake wooden kitchen linoleum that appears inviting to the feverish socked footsies." - Adam Young/Owl City

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:59 pm
View Likes
Shepherd says...

You don't get over it.

Edited to be more specific on your character's reaction:
Depending on her personality, she could react in any number of ways.
A tentative, withdrawn person will sometimes become uncharacteristically outgoing in an attempt to normalize their life in a more meaningful way. Or, alternatively, he or she could become even more withdrawn. It's all in how your character handles grief and hardship, but amplified a thousand times over.
Last edited by Shepherd on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:42 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Basically, it depends on your character. You can take some basics from real life, but your character will react in their own way to a tragedy such as that. It might take a bit of time to figure out, but take any sort of research you can find on very deep grief and see how it fits with your character.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:50 am
View Likes
Emerson says...

I have a distant relative whose (not twin) sister died in a car wreck with him. He watched her drown (due to the way the car was tilted into the water), and he felt it was his fault.

Very smart man; ended up in an asylum, though, I'm fairly certain. (I never knew him.)
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 am
View Likes
lilymoore says...

A classmate of mine lost her little brother very early in his life but even then, she was very young. But when we drive around town, nearly every time we pass the cemetary, she mentions her little brother.
It's just something you can't get over.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand