z

Young Writers Society

World War 2 info

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:39 pm
View Likes
Forestqueen808 says...

Okay, so I had an idea to write about World War II. Amazing right? Okay, but I need to know more about what happened to the Jews before they were sent to Concentration Camps. I know about them wearing the Stars and everything, but, was it like Racism in the U.S? Did they have to go to different schools? Did they use different drinking fountains? Any ideas of where I can get that info?
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

Random avatar

Reviews: 136
Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 am
View Likes
fiction903 says...

You can get good information from history .com My Grandpa served in World War 2. He operated a machine gun in the battle for Normandy. He was shot twice in the leg but, still survived and earned a Purple Heart.That is all I know because he didn't like to talk about it. I think his experiences from the war haunted him. He was one of the bravest, strongest people I have ever known.I think he realized that the freedom that we enjoy in this country is not free.
I hope that helps with your story. Fiction

Random avatar

Reviews: 118
Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm
View Likes
TheEnigma says...

I don't know all the details, but I know for sure that the Jews first had to register. There were notices that all Jews had to register with the German government or something. The stars came later, and then they were also given smaller rations during the war. The Nazis passed laws that made it impossible for Jews to get work, and Jewish children couldn't go to school. Then, of course, there was the Kristallnacht, when the stores and homes and synagogues of Jews were smashed and burned and graffitied.
I think it was a lot more violent than the racism in the U.S. overall. I mean, it was acceptable to kill a Jew or vandalize their home or anything. No one even tried to be subtle about it. At least, that was my impression when we learned about it.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:29 pm
View Likes
Kiwisatsuma says...

The racism in Germany during WW2 was very different to racism in America. I don't know if you're talking about nowadays or years back, but in America racism and segregation was mainly because of the legacy of Black people being enslaved by white Americans. In Nazi Germany it was because Hitler told people that the Aryan race (Germans, blonde haired and blue eyed) were superior to all others and that Jews were to blame for all Germany's problems. It was considered perfectly acceptable to be openly anti-semitic whereas in America there was a level of guilt and protest about racism.

There's a lot of information about the Holocaust here: http://www.world-war-2.info/holocaust/

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:46 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

You friendly neighborhood Jew here! In America, Jews had it almost, but not quite, as bad as people of color in the 40s. Many beaches and fancy places had a no Jews or Negroes rule. If you had a Jewish-sounding last name, they would ask you if you were. And If you were, they would kick you out. In normal communities, Jews were shunned. No self respecting Catholic mother, in those days, would let their child date a Jew. It simply didn't happen. Things were much worse in the South than they were in the North, but Jews were treated badly everywhere. If you wanted to be successful, you kept your religion quiet and practiced it on the sly. "What I Saw and How I Lied" is a very good book set in America during the 40s. It's a fun read, and gives some good insight into that.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke