z

Young Writers Society

Need a Myhtological Monster!!!!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun May 30, 2010 1:14 am
Araidne says...

I'm writing a story set in WW2. It's going to involve military experiments turning people into monsters (stronger weapon) on both sides. My problem is that I can't think of a half decent monster that either looks human, or shape shifts into the monster. I absolutely will not go near werewolves or vampires, since, let's face it, they have been over used. So, if anyone knows of a mythological monster, doesn't matter where it's from, I would really appreciate it if you would let me know.
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun May 30, 2010 1:49 am
LastPaladin says...

Araidne wrote:I'm writing a story set in WW2. It's going to involve military experiments turning people into monsters (stronger weapon) on both sides. My problem is that I can't think of a half decent monster that either looks human, or shape shifts into the monster. I absolutely will not go near werewolves or vampires, since, let's face it, they have been over used. So, if anyone knows of a mythological monster, doesn't matter where it's from, I would really appreciate it if you would let me know.

Changlings

Kelpies

Jersey Devil

Mermaids

Gorgons

Those are few I can think of.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sun May 30, 2010 1:50 am
Jagged says...

Up the top of my head, if we keep humanoid or shapeshifting as the main factor:
Medusa - woman with snakes as hair, petrifying those who meet her gaze
Minotaur - man with head of a bull
Kelpie - usually depicted as either a horse, but can take up human form
Golems?

There's also chimeras, especially if you use that definition broadly like they do in the manga/anime Fullmetal Alchemist: a fusion of man and animal, retaining mostly human shape but taking on animal characteristics.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun May 30, 2010 2:16 am
Araidne says...

Thanks! I have an idea for a female monster, but I need one more male oriented, so that leaves out the gorgon :D Plus, she's already taken.
Out flew the web, and floated wide,
The mirror cracked from side to side.
'The curse has come upon me' cried
The Lady of Shalott

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun May 30, 2010 5:20 am
Meshugenah says...

Hmm, specifically mythological, eh? I'm drawing a blank right now, but these could help!

This first one is a Medieval Bestiary, basically a list of monsters from Europe found in the huge vast period of time known as the Middle Ages. Not exactly mythological, but if you can't find anything from mythology, there's plenty there to spark ideas! This one, I just stumbled upon (er, not using stumbleupon), and looks to be a list and description of a bunch of mythical creatures - use the side-menu thing to navigate, took me a sec to find it. May not be the best place to go for definitive information, but it's also a good starting point! If those don't work, I can always dig out some of my myth books, just let me know, since I'll have to hunt for most of said books.

Bek
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun May 30, 2010 10:00 pm
Tusker93 says...

Minotaur would be the most likely male-oriented genetic experiment monster. I can imagine the genetics needed for a Medusa-like creature to be quite complicated :L. Minotaur could easily just be a weird experiment between man and bull, simple and effective right?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 am
lilymoore says...

Centaurs are one I haven't seen on the list. I mean, as far as battle goes, they'd be great for speed and all.

And one thing to remember is that WWII was made up of water warfare and trench warfare. So what about super soldier mermen.

And as far as trench warfare. Well, what about mole-men. *okay, maybe that was a lame idea* But take an animal that is burrowing, and then add the word 'men' to it.

:D
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:44 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Hey, on Wikipedia there's a huge page/list dedicated to mythical creatures from all sorts of cultures. Quite a few of them I've never heard of anywhere else. If you want something new, I would try looking there or googling mythical creatures - then when you find one that catches your interest you can always adapt it to what you need in your story.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:20 am
Shepherd says...

What of Vulkodlac?
It is Croatian...essentially a vampire (though not in the traditional sense) who shifts easily between human and wolflike appearance. I don't know the moniker in English, but I can help you if you would like to use it.
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:47 pm
Merlin34 says...

You could try nagas. They're humans with snake tails for legs.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:33 pm
Rosendorn says...

Merlin34 wrote:You could try nagas. They're humans with snake tails for legs.

Actually, they're not. The original Naga is a beast that looks like a multi-headed, very large, cobra. No snake tails. I cannot actually link the wiki page because the proper spelling is Nāga, and that "ā" doesn't link well.

That being said, you can always create your own hybrids/infusions— very easy to do in the form of botched experiments. Or, you could make it so they tried to infuse the humans with monsters that weren't humanoid just for the power. That might get very interesting very quickly.

You could also make it just straight animals in some respects. If you look at myth more closely, they mostly take real animals as the basics of their myth.

My list:

Look at Egyptian gods. The bulk of them have some animal attributes that can be increased to make them better weapons.

Garuda, from hindu myth. A bird-man.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice