z

Young Writers Society

ready to kill someone

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:04 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Would anyone be able ot elaborate on Ellen Langer's mindfulness theory other than the information that is provided here : http://ldt.stanford.edu/~lmalcolm/marve ... langer.htm

I have yet to discover what this theory actually is. Only that we are usually mindless of our surroundings. A search for Ellen Langer or Mindful learning yields book results, and aren't very helpful to me. Nor are article abstracts of articls I can't read myself.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:06 pm
David Guinness says...

This is a little off the mark, but may help some:

Many problems are not solved because people think about them in automatic and habitual ways. This automatic mode of thought, called mindlessness, plays a role in how we think about people. The cost of mindless thinking is significant because it limits our ability to make good decisions, to recognize changes in other people, and to see things from a variety of perspectives.

The LMS is a 21-item questionnaire intended for use as a training, self-discovery, and research instrument. It assesses four domains associated with mindful thinking: novelty-seeking, engagement, novelty producing, and flexibility. An individual who seeks novelty perceives each situation as an opportunity to learn something new. An individual who scores high in engagement is likely to notice more details about his or her specific relationship with the environment. A novelty producing person generates new information in order to learn more about the current situation. Flexible people welcome a changing environment rather than resist it.

Actually, I'm sure you've read this already. It's just a summarized version of the other link.

------But it seems to be the idea that mindlessness is being taught in schools, and to be better-educated, better-rounded individuals, we must get away from this. Because educators tell us something, we accept it as the truth, without any question. We need to really get into the depths of our soul and analyze what we have been taught, get out into the world and form new, unbiased opinions so that we may know the "truth".

This (my theory of Langer's theory) falls down when you realize that every high school student believes nothing of which any of their teachers tell them. Oh well.
David Guinness

you ever say spidgit finner unironically?
— FireEyes