z

Young Writers Society

What Are True Heroes Made Of?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:29 pm
LookUpThere says...

Well I'm writing a superhero novel and the title is What Heroes Are Made Of. I think it's rather good because it allows me to really present my themes and strongly, just present them and have them influence my MC who shall start out kind of complainative or whimpy and end up as an awesome guy. So to you guys, wat makes a good hero? Morals like Superman, Ben10 (Teenage)? Cool Powers? Relatability like Spiderman? Struggle? Let me know.

Hero,

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:23 am
hero says...

Hey, NewMe. I'll just give my two cents:

I think a good hero is when they aren't completely good, but they aren't evil either. Like, they know when lines need to be crossed, but they know that they really shouldn't or maybe they don't. But the idea is, if they weren't there, the villain would be much worse. Then, every other thing comes easily.

-Conflict: Do you beat info that you really need, else hundreds die, out of the villain while his son is watching, even though this is the one chance you'll get, and he's not gonna talk any other way, or can you just not do that? The conflict as to whether to do the bad thing, but get good results, or to do the right thing, but have so many die?

-Relatability: No one on earth is completely good, so when a gray character pops up, we can all say, 'Oh, I'm good like that, but, like him, I also continuously lie, but not because I want to hurt the people I'm lying to'. So, when an imperfect character comes in, we can all recognize him as one of us due to imperfection.

-Coolness: Well... this should go without saying, but characters who don't stick to morals all the time tend to be ridiculously awesome. For example: Rorschach from Watchmen, who is a fan favorite due to his awesomeness; at the same time, he's incredibly psychotic, not adverse to killing people, on the run from the law, and generally the kind who isn't exactly good in the conventional sense. Indeed, because they don't have so many limits, they can do more, and much of what they do more can be incredible. There is so much more stuff you can do when your character is not exactly good that can always constitute as a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat May 01, 2010 7:12 pm
Rosendorn says...

A drive that comes from something in the character's past. A couple of examples would be:

Spiderman: Turned his back on a small villain, got his uncle killed, is now dedicated to stopping all crime and never looking away from somebody who needs his help.

Batman: He was driven to stopping crime by his parents being murdered.

Both of them have an underlaying set of beliefs that make them want to be crimefighters above all else. They will go to the means and training necessary to beat the villains they get put up against, and they work for it on one level or another (be it in lost social life or lots of time spent training and studying).

My main dislike in heroes is when they just seem to have no reason to do any sort of good. They just happen to be the best for the job so the writer made them heroic.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri May 28, 2010 3:23 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

What makes a good hero? His sidekick. My favorite example is Sam Gamgee.
Here's this fellow who nobody would look twice at, but he's devoted, selfless
and wise.

Please don't beat me over the head for this! I just think
that heroes don't need to show off and wear fancy capes.

Fiery.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm
TheseStoneWalls says...

Being a "true" hero requires sacrifice--It involves the willingness to give up something that benefits you in order to attain something that benefits someone else, especially the world as a whole. For instance, when my friend was in Iraq, his comrade threw himself on a bomb that was about to go off so he could save the rest of his fellow soldiers there. He sacrificed his life to save the lives of others.
And these stone walls will come crashing down.

Random avatar

Reviews: 118
Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:03 pm
TheEnigma says...

A hero can be an everyday person. They don't have to have superpowers, or even do brave things like rescue drowning people or pull people out of the way of oncoming traffic while risking their own lives. A hero can be very personal; someone who you look up to and respect and model yourself after.
A hero should never be perfect. No one is perfect. Indeed, it is often the struggle to overcome the darker side of their nature that makes a hero a hero.
And too, a hero is somebody who uses their talents--be they supernatural or a talent at cooking--to do some good in the world.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:56 am
LookUpThere says...

Thank you everybody for your comments. I will definetely take them into consideration. Sorry for being so late with the thank you message. So mainly what I get is that they must have some kind of reason to be heroes right? And they shouldn't be perfect. Well, that just proves the point that Spiderman rocks :P

Chow.

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind