z

Young Writers Society

Anyone know anything about rocks and minerals or ecology?

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:19 am
Doctor Kitty says...

I have a science competition on Saturday... So I decided to start preparing 5 days before! Go me! <.<

Anyway, anyone know any good books or any other kind of sources on rocks and minerals or ecology?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:28 am
zelithon says...

noooooooppppppppeeeeeee

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:31 am
Crysi says...

Zeth, please only post relevant posts. If you don't know, don't answer.

Waffles, I'm moving this to the Research category. You're more likely to get more helpful info there. :)
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:32 am
Snoink says...

Me! Me! Pick me!

But... be more specific. Ecology and mineralogy are completely different. I can help you with the latter, but not the former.

So this post isn't in total vain:

Silicon and oxygen are the two most common elements in minerals. Silicon, for rocks, is like carbon for us humans.

Quartz is, by far, one of the most common minerals. It makes up what we know as "sand."

Sapphires are rubies are chemically the same. The only thing different is the color.

Emeralds are not always green.

Diamonds and graphite are made of the same element, carbon. The difference between the two are the chemical structure. Graphite has it layered on top of each other. The structure of diamond is all connected with each other.

Terms to look up?

Moh's hardness scale

rock cycle

Hope that helps! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The important thing is never to stop questioning.
— Albert Einstein