z

Young Writers Society

Science Project: Invasive Species! Help!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 pm
Wildest Temptations says...

I have to do a science project on an invasive species, and I chose Yellow Perch(it's a fish). I thought that it would be really easy considering I have first hand experience with them, but it turned out to be harder that I originally thought.

I also have a huge dilemma, my Microsoft word doesn't work so I can't tell how long my report is! It's terrible, I know! But I was thinking if anyone could help me with research and stuff that I would be forever in your debt!

The outline is:

1. Organism

-Choose an interesting organism that is an INVASIVE SPECIES.
-[animal, plant, fungus, etc.]

-Describe the organism
-describe the many adaptations the organism has that allow it to survive in this biome
-discuss the obstacles it mus overcome in order to survive
-discuss the organism's role in the ecosystem [food web]

2. Biome / Ecosystem

Describe the biome in which the organism lived originally and the biome that it has 'invaded'
-location on earth
-temperature, precipitation
-flora and fauna

3. Environmental Impact

-Discuss the impact of this INVASIVE SPECIES on the ecosystem it has invaded
-Discuss what is being done or could be done to address the problems created by the invasive species

Size of Project
Typed: 5 to 8 pages
-double spaced, neat
Handwritten: 10 to 16 pages
-double spaced, neat
This does not include the title page and references
"The only life worth living is the one you're truly passionate about." -- Emma Pillsbury, Glee

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 am
Merlin34 says...

You should be able to tell how many pages you have in MS Word...

As for research, government agencies are always good resources. If you live in the US, the Fish and Wildlife Service and certain state-specific Department of Natural Resources websites would be excellent sources. Wikipedia is all right, as it's not like anyone will vandalize an article on yellow perch, but you'll want to check their sources just to make sure. Use books and movies if you can, and make sure to go to a lot of sites for info. I recommend using CARRDSS to evaluate your sources.

Hope I helped,
Merlin34
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni