z

Young Writers Society

Native Americans

Reviews: 2
Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:01 am
KinetaAlettaThyra says...

Ok, I'm doing a little research for a book/story I'm writing. And i need to know some things about Native Americans:

[*]What was the young women's role in their culture?
[*]Did they ever capture the Settlers?
[*]Did the young girls ever fight?
[*]Basically ANYTHING about their culture!

I'm sorry if my questions are kind of dumb, but i have to know! Please answer!
Curiosity killed the cat,
But Satisfaction brought it back! :D
If that never happened,
How do you think I'm still here? ;)

Everyone has a right to be Stupid
but that doesn't mean you should abuse the privilege!

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:32 am
captain.classy says...

You asked the right person (haha)

I am Native American, and know almost everything about Native American culture.

[*]What was the young women's role in their culture?
- Women played a large part in the tribes. I'm sure you've heard the term 'hunter-gatherers.' Well, this is what NA's were. The men would hunt, and the woman would gather. This means they would gather berries, herbs, anything they would need to cook or make clothes.
-Woman would also cook, heal, share stories, make fires, build the houses (I know, you would think the men would do that), sometimes they fished, took care of children, and cleaned. They also made clothes and sometime weapons, and tools.

[*]Did they ever capture the Settlers?
-Their main point of life was not the capture settlers. NA's, I'm sure you already know this, were big on their connection with nature. When settlers came, burnt down forests, killed tribe members, raped women, abused children, they didn't know what do to. They had never encountered other people before. Sure, they would have the occasional fight over territory with other tribes, but they didn't set out to capture settlers. Basically, if they entered their territory or imposed a threat, they would act on it. Most of the time, the settlers ended up killing off the tribe before settlers had the time to be captured.

-If they did, it was a secret. It was the only bad thing (in my opinion) about NA culture. Women didn't have a big part in hunting or fighting. But, they did sometimes make weapons and clothes for the warriors, so they would probably test it out. All women knew how to hold a knife, which was the standard tool for women to hold. Women did not carry around a spear or bows and arrows (usually) if that's what you're wondering. But, it's your story. And NA history is a blur, so feel free to make your main character fight!

[*]Basically ANYTHING about their culture!
-what else would you like to know?
-I am from the East Oklahoma Comanche tribe, and I know that my tribe was big on gathering, since their region was great for that. You have to remember that each tribe was from a different part of the country. They all had to survive different weathers, with different food and resources. You should look up a specific tribe. Since you seem to be writing about settlers vs. NA's, I would pick a tribe that was on the eastern part of the states, like mine.

I also have a story already written on Native Americans, if you would like to read it an get a feel for how they talked, I wouldn't mind sending it to you. :)

Classy

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am
Rosendorn says...

Classy hit it pretty well, but just to add here:

The Apache tribe of what is now New Mexico let women fight. It generally wasn't done, but there are records of warrior women in that tribe. The one off the top of my head is Lozen. (Info) She was considered a medicine woman and warrior of the Apache tribe as they fought the Americans for their land.

Also, in the Apache tribe again, they would sometimes capture Mexican children because their own were slaughtered. The Apache and Mexican had a long-standing feud, so the Apache knew their ways.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:29 pm
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Don't forget that the Natives were slaughtered by an invisible enemy brought by the settlers. Small pox and other such diseases. Also, the Spanish gave the Natives "Fire-water" alcoholic beverages, making them easy to conquer. The reason is because Native Americans lack the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase, which breaks down alcohol through several stages. The Natives, however, weren't just killed by the conquistadors who gave them the alcohol. No, many died from the effects of the alcohol alone.

Basically, with the arrival of new comers, the Natives were experiencing the horror of having their world destroyed. Both culturally and physically. One of the big factors in their cultural taking a hit is the settlers converting the Indians to their religions. Protestant pilgrims, the Spaniards with their Catholicism, etc. In that respect, the Catholics had a much better chance of converting the natives. This had to do with the fact that the practice of Catholicism had more similarities to their ritualistic Native American beliefs.

But of course, none of that meant that the natives wouldn't practice their customs in secret. (Will add more in a bit. Goes to work out)
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm
canislupis says...

If you want to learn more about this, I would recommend "The writer's guide to everyday life among the American Indians: 1800 to 1900" by Candy Moulton. It covers a wide range of topics, from clothing to culture to religion, and also shows the differences between tribes in different geographical areas.

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher