z

Young Writers Society

Jobs that require moving overseas?

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:27 am
eddykins says...

In this project I'm working on, my protagonist is half-black, half-Japanese, her father having moved to Tokyo in his mid-20s for a job requirement and deciding to stay once his time was up. I just need to decide what job he has.

Originally I was stuck between graphic or product design and the military, but I know I want the protagonist and her family to live specifically in Tokyo. Any suggestions?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:47 pm
Rosendorn says...

Banking? I've heard that happening periodically.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:38 am
hero says...

Teaching? My dad moved to Japan in order to get a job at a university in Tokyo. Or even a sabbatical; where you have a year off, and you can move to a country for research or just to chill.

Business? Something that would require being in Tokyo in order to make a deal with a Japanese corporation?

Rosey's suggestion was also good. But yeah. If you need tips on being a foreigner in Japan (or half a foreigner, in the case of my friends) or just culture in general, PM me.
This guy is so evil you could put him in between two slices of bread and call him an evil sandwich.

Coming at you like a jetpack Shakespeare.

Hero's Reviews
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic53905.html

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 pm
Katriona says...

Maybe a CIA agent... it would depend on whether or not you wanted to use that kind of secrecy.
~Christ's Servant

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace;
that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation;
that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!
Isaiah 52:7

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Firestarter says...

Diplomat. Obviously he'd be too young to be an Ambassador or such, but he could easily work in the Embassy there.

Teaching English to the Japanese. That's common, there's a program in the UK for graduates to do but I can't recall what it's called now.

But I think your best bet is an Embassy, as it would be in the centre of Tokyo and makes a lot of sense.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:09 pm
captain.classy says...

Some relative of mine actually moved from the U.S.A. to Japan. He moved over there to teach English at a college. It was just something he wanted to do.

Classy

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:00 am
J. Wilder says...

Maybe a hotel manager for one of the international chains?

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:57 am
canislupis says...

Or an engineer/rep for an overseas company? I have friends who could have taken 6 month or year long assignments in Japan.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:59 pm
Tusker93 says...

A miner from abroad :P

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle