z

Young Writers Society

Medieval Bows

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:25 pm
Merlin34 says...

I know that bows (or at least wooden bows from the Middle Ages) can't be constantly strung. One of my protagonists, Lily, picks up a child-sized bow and thinks she knows how to use it. Trouble is, she's from modern Earth, and the bows' she's used are modern bows, and she keeps it strung, pokes it around, and otherwise treats it like it will always work.

So... what happens if you keep a bow like that strung for too long? Will it break? Will the arrow be shot out at .01 miles per hour? How long do you have to mistreat it before it won't work?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm
PeterHerronGunner says...

If you keep a bow strung it will lose its springy power. It will been like a stick, if you keep it bent for awhile it will stay that way.
I think therefore I am...

-Unknown

With that logic, I don't think... *POOF*

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:38 am
RainWanderer says...

Merlin34 wrote:I know that bows (or at least wooden bows from the Middle Ages) can't be constantly strung. One of my protagonists, Lily, picks up a child-sized bow and thinks she knows how to use it. Trouble is, she's from modern Earth, and the bows' she's used are modern bows, and she keeps it strung, pokes it around, and otherwise treats it like it will always work.

So... what happens if you keep a bow like that strung for too long? Will it break? Will the arrow be shot out at .01 miles per hour? How long do you have to mistreat it before it won't work?

There is no child-size bow in medieval time, since the wooden bow, if made too short, it will not be able to bend properly. The medieval bow use the elastic property of the wooden part of the bow, called the limb, not just the string. The string is only something to hold the arrow on and propels it with the force from the limb and some of its own as they sprung back to the bow original position. And if the little girl can hold a bow string that long, then yes, the strain on the wood may cause it to snap, and/or unable to revert to it initial position. That is why bows when used for an extent period of time, must be change to a new one. But since they are quite cheap to make one, that is not much. Except if it is a special made bow, such as bows for the nobles, the bow may be made by professional crater, and cost a lot.

A best medieval range weapon that a child may use in my opinion, and is possible to made, is a child-size crossbow, especially if it have mechanical handle, like windlass crossbow. It is easy to fire, and have strong impact force, however, takes time to reload.
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart