z

Young Writers Society

CERN

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 am
Scion of Fangor says...

Hello,

If anyone has any information about CERN I would be very interested. Specifically any information about what a particle collision looks like, how long it takes, how much energy it takes (I heard somewhere that it uses as much energy as the city of geneva uses in one year, is that right?), what would happen if you discovered a new particle, how many people would know? What would happen if it blew up, how big a bang would it make?

And if that s not enough to keep you going then I don't know what is! :)

Scion
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Random avatar

Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm
Scion of Fangor says...

Anyone?
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:58 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'd help, but I don't know what CERN is. (Although, if it's too in-depth with sciences I might not be able to)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm
Blink says...

Well, the CERN website may be of help. Under the research section, they have tonnes of information - I haven't found anything specific, but have a good rummage and you never know. ^^ Some of it's really interesting.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm
Scion of Fangor says...

Thank you Blink the site proved very helpful. :D

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 am
Aro says...

YES! I know what CERN is! xD Haha. Sorry about the dramatic effect. Anyway, a particle collision has a few ways of looks. It can be anything like a "Z" pattern, or anything of the sort. The novel Angels and Demons helps a little bit, but I'd be careful because some of that is fiction and not fact. Otherwise, the website is excellent. The particle acceleration tube is roughly about (I think a 1/4 mile in diameter, maybe more?) and stretches from Geneva, to the southern tip of France, rounding back to Geneva in a massive circle, using fast paced magnets to accelerate the particles. As far as discoveries, as with any laboratory, I think you can imagine they would keep it secret for quite some time. Also, CERN has a variety of other experiments going on, but I'd check the website for that, as they might have changed since the report I had to do on the company I had to do in the Spring of 2009. Otherwise, good luck! :)

Lots of times you have to pretend to join a parade in which you're not really interested in order to get where you're going.
— Christopher Darlington Morley