z

Young Writers Society

Fainting at the Sight of Blood

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 pm
Merlin34 says...

If you have someone who faints (literally passes out) at the sight of blood, 1) how long will they stay under for, 2) how easy is it to wake them up, 3) and can they faint again if the blood is still there?

Thanks.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:15 pm
Lucy Pennykettle says...

Well, with over all fainting, it's normally because they are traumatized, in shock, exhausted, or your nervous system and circulation cause a drop in the amount of blood pumped to the brain. In the case of seeing blood, it could be from hysteria that goes through your brain of: Oh crap! What do I do? and you can start to panic, which in many cases causes your blood pressure to drop and you faint. Other times you faint from blood because it's someone you know and you are worried for them and your stomach will flip over and you black out.
Normally, they'll stay unconscious for not very long, especially if they are lying down. The most they might stay under is about a minute or two. Sometimes, if they are under for a longer amount of time, it could be for something else and you may need to call a doctor.
Waking someone up from a faint can sometimes be easy, or hard. If you want to help someone who's fainted, lay them flat, and loosen any tight clothing. Remember, they fainted from blood and so their circulation of blood is low. especially loosen any belts around the waists or scarves. Another thing to try is to gently chafe their wrist. Like an Indian burn, sometimes the pain will take their mind off of things and they'll just wake up. Other times they might just wake up and be confused. It just depends.
If somebody has fainted from the sight of blood, you might need to have someone else clean it up, or have the injured person leave. It can cause discomfort to the fainted person. Make sure when the fainted person wakes up, they stay still for a little bit to prevent further faintings.

Well, there you have it. That's all I know and I hope it helps!

Lucy Pennykettle
From the moment I picked up your book, I started laughing until I put it down. Maybe one day I'll read it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:20 pm
Sureal says...

I find they wake up really rather fast, but feel a bit nasty afterwards.

Never fainted myself, but have come close. It's never nice. You feel really sick, really hot, start breathing fast and heavy, and your vision clouds up with black, grey, white dots, like the static on an old style TV.
I wrote the above just for you.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am
Kibble says...

I think if they fainted and were lying down, it would be hard to faint again from a horizontal position, even if they saw blood again.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

Reviews: 3
Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:22 pm
Livia says...

Sureal wrote:I find they wake up really rather fast, but feel a bit nasty afterwards.

Never fainted myself, but have come close. It's never nice. You feel really sick, really hot, start breathing fast and heavy, and your vision clouds up with black, grey, white dots, like the static on an old style TV.

So I'm not crazy! That's how I feel sometimes.

I have a fear of blood, and I fainted twice from blood. I've also fainted twice from other semi-blood related causes.

One was when I was 3 and getting a blood test and I watched. I only remember my parents telling me about it after. Another time was in second grade so I don't remember much about it, except that it was only about a minute and that I peed in my pants.

I remember I was mildly aware of my surroundings and everything was sparkly like Sureal described.

I think Kibble is right, but I know you can faint when you're in a seated position, it's just less likely to happen if you're laying down.

I know all this from experience, sadly.

--Olivia
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:41 am
fire_of_dawn says...

This happened to me too.

It was an accident. I didn't have recall of at least a few seconds.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm
Sins says...

Yeah... I always pass out when I see lots of blood.
That's me for you, a freak :wink:

Like someone else said, when I pass out, I can't recall the last few seconds after fainting.

I've never fainted while sitting down, but I've come pretty darn close to it! I was watching something about injury's of war in school, and I literally had to fight to stay conscious when I was watching it! :lol: Once I got up off of the chair, it was soaking... you obviously sweat when you feel faint...

When I pass out, it only lasts ten seconds at the most, but I think everyone is different when it comes to the length of time that they're unconscious.

I'm not really aware of people trying to wake me up when I pass out, it's all just a blur really. But it's pretty easy to wake me up after I've passed out, mainly because it only lasts about ten seconds! Once again, I think that everyone is different really.

If I see the blood again once I've woken up, I don't pass out again. Although, most of the time, it's because I'm not really aware of what's going on! My vision is slightly blurred, and everything just seems all... I don't know how to describe it... it's just all, like bleeeh... :lol: You get the idea? So to be honest, I'm never really aware of the people around me after I've passed out!

One thing I'm certain of about fainting though, is that it's not fun :wink:
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah