z

Young Writers Society

Nuns

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 pm
View Likes
BethGoth05 says...

I'd like to write a story about a nun but the thing is, I know nothing about nuns (or religion for that matter!) I've tried to research them but I just don't comprehend the articles I've read. Can someone break it down to make easier? Take in mind that I have dyspraxia and don't process information very well.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:05 pm
View Likes
OxfordandOnyx says...

I know how it feels to just not be able to absorb info when you need to! Wikipedia can especially confuse me though! General information I found to get an idea of a Nun in your head (:

She is a member of a religious community.
She has taken vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
They are devoted to a life of charity, teaching and even nursing.
The head of a covenant (where some Nuns group together to stay) are sometimes called abbesses, prioresses, and mothers superior, and a nun is generally addressed as "Sister."

Some do not take on the black and white habit, they sometimes just dress simply and normally and you would not notice if she was walking down your street!

you can find nuns who are living in convents, living - wearing habits, spending their day, you know, praying most of the day, ordering their day that way. But you can also find nuns who are working in the world as professionals, who are working with a whole variety of community organizations.

Can I asked, is your story set in the presant or the past?
Nuns these days have changed!
There are still strictly traditional but now there are the modern day Nuns, some even teach from home or join online communities.

There are different types of Nuns. There are Catholic Nuns, Eastern Orthodox Nuns and even Buddhist Nuns. (But I guessed you wanted information on a Nun who follows Christianity!)

I found a site, called A Nuns Life. Org, I hope it doesn't confuse you further but seeing as it is run by modern day sisters, it might give you a little insight to a Nun's life!Check it out http://anunslife.org/

(: Hope I was a tiny bit helpful!
Last edited by OxfordandOnyx on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:16 pm
View Likes
BethGoth05 says...

It would be set at present day; strippers/prostitutes etc. are involved ;)

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence