z

Young Writers Society

All you people with glasses

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Young gun says...

Has anyone with glasses got rid of them naturally?Also has anyone got them as late as 14,15 or 16?
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:50 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Can you explain more?
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

I got my first pair of glasses when I was about eight. They were for reading, since I tend to be far sighted. I out grew needing them when I was ten, and just recently (at sixteen) I got them back again.

I'm not exactly sure of ways to get rid of glasses. I found when I was younger giving my eyes a rest from all the reading I had to do (I got sick and had to take a lot of time off school. Over a year) but once I got back into reading I had to get them again. I've heard of exersizes you can do for your eyes, but I haven't actually seen people get rid of their glasses with them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:36 pm
Young gun says...

You really got Reading specs?Generally youngsters have distance specs.You have some chance of loosing them.

I thought that most people who responded would have them for seeing far.

I got a small distance number a year ago and thank myself for not listening for the optician's advice to wear them all the time.

ButterFlyInk, I am trying to find out more people who have specs non-genetically and as late as fifteen.The specs being those for long sight and number not exceeding -1 hopefully.

Here is what I do to keep my number constant(not reccomended for others):
Continually stare at an object until my eyes start watering a lot.

With this practise I can get full vision for a short time.This will not work for anyone with a number beyond -1.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

Reviews: 3
Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

I got glasses last year when I was fifteen but I haven't heard of some one losing the need for them unless it's laser sergury.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:07 pm
MagnusBane says...

I've had glasses since I was eight. I've never heard of someone not needing glasses after they already had them. I was under the impression that most people's eyes get worse over time instead of better.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:37 pm
Lucinda says...

From what I've heard from the eye doctor:
If you get glasses at a young age (I got mine when I was about nine years old and I'm nearsighted), your eye prescription will jump around quite a bit during puberty. After that, it won't change quite as much. So, as long as the person had *mild* problems with her eyes, it would be pretty reasonable for the person's eyes to get better. 20-20 vision might be a bit of a stretch, but to get to the point where the person wouldn't need glasses any longer is plausible.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:01 pm
mtempleton says...

I agree. I have a lot of friends who had glasses at primary school, but haven't needed them since age 16. On the other hand, I got glasses (I'm near-sighted) age 14, and my eyes have got worse since then.

what's this for, by the way?
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:33 am
Kibble says...

Just to clarify, long sightedness is when the image of close objects falls behind the retina, so close objects look blurry (or looking at them can cause headaches, from the lens straining to cast the image onto the retina). People with long sightedness need reading glasses.

Short sightedness is when images of distant objects fall in front of the retina. People with short sightedness often need glasses all the time, although if it's not severe they might only use them when they want to.

People tend to either get glasses:

1. When they are young, if they have very severe/obvious sight problems.
2. When they start school, or start reading seriously (reading glasses). Depending on the severity, this might happen from the time the child starts looking at close objects, right up as they increase their reading for high school etc. Looking at a computer can be especially hard.
3. When they are old enough to express (or for other people to realise) that they can't see clearly in the distance.
4. As they age, due to the eyes becoming older (often long sightedness appears/increases with age).

So it's possible that a character could start needing glasses when they're a teenager. Nothing they have could be that severe, if they haven't realised it before then. The most plausible time for them to realise would be at the start of a new school year, or around exam time, whenever they're doing more reading than they have before (for long sightedness). In that case, the main symptom would probably be headaches rather than blurriness, as the lens can still focus but with a lot of eye strain.

For short sightedness, it might be that the character gradually realises they can't see as far as other people. Or they realised before, but only started caring now.

In short, without severe impairment it is possible for a person with glasses to refuse to wear their glasses (especially in school, if they're scared of being teased), or even for a person to not realise they need glasses for reading, if their symptom is headaches rather than problems with the image they see.
"You are altogether a human being, Jane? You are certain of that?"
"I conscientiously believe so, Mr Rochester."
~ Jane Eyre

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:52 am
cosby says...

My brother got his glasses last year for reading. He was 13 then.
My dad has had glasses for ages, but recently he had to get weaker lenses because his eyesight is improving - naturally. He was getting headaches because the lenses were too strong.
- From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it -

- If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type faster -

I laugh at my own signature. Sad? Yes.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

I can tell you now that carrots don't help.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Reviews: 0
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 am
Aro says...

Antigone is so right. I got my first pair of glasses when I was thirteen. They were for far-sightedness, and I have been almost as blind as a bat ever since. If someone were take away my glasses, I couldn't walk a straight line.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm
winie603 says...

I got my first glasses at eight, and since then my eye sight has only gotten worse! I've never heard of someone getting rid of glasses naturally, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible unless they're like super-human. xD Oh and people can get glasses as late as their twenties (My mom got glasses in college)
Sometimes you're the apple, sometimes you're the mouth- me XD

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:18 pm
Emerson says...

I started wearing glasses around the age of six. I think the difference between myself and the majority of people who have already posted is that I have astigmatism, so in a way I am neither near-sided nor far-sided, or you could say I am both. Essentially, it is hard for me to see upclose, and it's hard for me to see far away. Things are blurry the whole way through, which is pretty frustrating. I really have to focus to read things right in front of my face without my glasses, and if someone is standing far away from me and I don't have my gasses on, their face isn't very recognizable.

The only way I'd be able to go without glasses is 1) contacts (which I've done for a little while before) or 2) laser surgery. Unless I decide just not to use them. A friend of mine just doesn't use her glasses, so she can never recognize people from far off. I actually find this to be very stupid because it causes your eyes to become even poorer from putting strain on them and can frequently cause headaches, but hey, to each his own!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:45 am
CelticaNoir says...

I probably started wearing glasses for short-sightedness when I was around 12 or 13...I'm almost 17 now, and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to take them off anytime soon...
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil