z

Young Writers Society

Come to the darkside we have cookies

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:02 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Okay so here's the thing....

In my current novel that I am working on I have a main character hallucinate and this is a important part for the novel and character but I was wondering how readers would take this kind of scene. As well as I was wondering in thriller/horror novels what would you like to see/read/experience? And last, since my novel has a back story that involves the Occult, I was wondering what kind of information should be shown/told to the reader about it without turning them away from the book?

-Butters

P.s. any tips or information is helpful.

Thank you!
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 am
Krupp says...

If this is a horror novel, then I wouldn't worry about oging too far; chances are your readers are horror fans, and most likely they'll expect this kind of thing. They won't get offended, they might even get interested...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:01 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Hallucinations are perfectly acceptable (at least in my opinion) in fiction writing. They walk that fine line between a dream sequence and reality without crossing over into the taunting dream sequence.

Don't reveal the hallucinations too early though, but don't reveal them too late. It can be a real twist, or a real turnoff. It can be like waking up from a dream and realizing everything that everyone thought happened never did and the world was actually a very boring place.

Yeah, that sort of thing stinks. So reveal the hallicinations at the right time and you should be fine. :)
Got YWS?

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs