z

Young Writers Society

Come to the darkside we have cookies

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:02 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Okay so here's the thing....

In my current novel that I am working on I have a main character hallucinate and this is a important part for the novel and character but I was wondering how readers would take this kind of scene. As well as I was wondering in thriller/horror novels what would you like to see/read/experience? And last, since my novel has a back story that involves the Occult, I was wondering what kind of information should be shown/told to the reader about it without turning them away from the book?

-Butters

P.s. any tips or information is helpful.

Thank you!
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:36 am
Krupp says...

If this is a horror novel, then I wouldn't worry about oging too far; chances are your readers are horror fans, and most likely they'll expect this kind of thing. They won't get offended, they might even get interested...
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:01 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Hallucinations are perfectly acceptable (at least in my opinion) in fiction writing. They walk that fine line between a dream sequence and reality without crossing over into the taunting dream sequence.

Don't reveal the hallucinations too early though, but don't reveal them too late. It can be a real twist, or a real turnoff. It can be like waking up from a dream and realizing everything that everyone thought happened never did and the world was actually a very boring place.

Yeah, that sort of thing stinks. So reveal the hallicinations at the right time and you should be fine. :)
Got YWS?

I know history. There are many names in history, but none of them are ours.
— Richard Siken