z

Young Writers Society

Gothic names?(finished)

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:31 pm
RainWanderer says...

I am writing a story that have the setting in the 17th century, so I need some Gothic-like names for my main characters. Can you help me please? With chocolate cookies on top? :D I would donate 500 points for the person who will give me the best name! (Many thanks to alwaysawriter ;) )

First, name for female main character! This is the description:

She is a cold and nearly emotionless girl,and even if there was any emotion left inside her, it would be sorrow and loneliness. She had live for a long, long time, but she still looked young because of a curse that keep her being immortal, so she had seen too much of human dark side and became a cynical person. She have a royalty background, so she is very rich. She has long, smooth black hair that caressing her heart-shaped face. Embracing her tall, slender body were an exquisite black dress of the highest quality with silver textures. And her eyes are black, onyx black - black like the blackest night, in contrast with her moon white skin. (Seem like too many "black" in just 3 sentences... :? )

There, can you help me find a name for her? A gothic name that means "black", or "black eyes" or something relate to "eyes" would be very nice. A noble name will be just perfect! If not, any name that sound gothic is good, if not, then sound like French is ok. :)

Next, name for male main character. He will be more simple:

An orphan beggar boy who one day wandered into the mysterious city where the female main character live. His past has became too blurry in his mind to remember, but why would he care about that? He was just a wandering beggar, living of people's mercy day by day. He wandered from places to places in his old dirty grey rag - what he would preferably call clothes, and getting money by using his pitiful look: a poor boy with dirty bushy grey hair that make he look almost like a wild animal, but with a big and hungry eyes that make soft-hearted ladies cried out loud: "You miserable boy!"

And that was my hapless victim of my evil....I meant my male main character. I won't need his name to have special meaning, but if you can get a name with the meaning "wanderer" or "traveler", I would be appreciate! And of course, that name should be gothic-like, or sound like French.

So, will you listen to my prayer, the wise YWSers?

Edit:
I found good names for my characters:
Female main character: Iris von Illian de Augen
Iris means goddess of rainbow, but it is also a the name of a part in the eye. "Illian de Augen" is a weird combination of greek,french and german words: "Illian" is a greek name, meaning light, "de" meaning "of" in french, and "Augen" is a german word for "eyes" so it would be "light of eyes"
Good name right? :) (or so I thought)

For my poor male character, I just simply give him a simple name: Gray. After all, he couldn't remember his past, so no need for complicate name. Just "Gray" because as I have described him, everything about him is grey: his eyes, his hair, his clothes, and even his future looks grey.

Thank you for the help!
Last edited by RainWanderer on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:16 pm
wolf4 says...

Here are some common French female names in the 17th century:

http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/fre ... rench.html

These are some Irish ones. They may not help, but they looked interesting:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fiann ... ames2.html

Good luck with your name search! Hope I helped! :D
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro