z

Young Writers Society

School Punishments

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:49 pm
Merlin34 says...

I need help with this, because I have almost never gotten in trouble at school.

Okay, so Xavier (13 years old, at an elementary school) is repeatedly taunted and prodded by a bunch of girls for about half the day. At lunchtime, he breaks, lunges at the main taunter, and punches her in the face three times, giving her a bloody nose. What would be the typical punishment for something like that? Suspension? Would the parents come to hear the "sentence", or would Xavier be told beforehand? And if it was suspension, would the parents drive him home, or would he ride home on the bus?
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:07 pm
View Likes
ImaginativeInsanity says...

Hmm... I've never been in trouble like that before, but I have heard of a similar case.

Here, we have 2 different types of suspension: In school suspension (ISS... you're in school, doing your work and everything, but out of your classes) or out of school suspension. In the case I heard of, the girl got ISS for a week, but that was high school. In an elementary school, your MC would be sure to be suspended out of school for at least a few days.

As far as parents go (from my vast knowledge gained via television, movies, novels, and other works of fiction :roll: ) the parent(s) would come down to the school, and there would be a meeting between the principal, the parent(s), and the student. In this meeting, they discuss what was done wrong, why it was done, and, of course, the punishment. The parent(s) would then take the child home.

I hope that helps. That's all I really know.
Please help spread the word about the New YWS Transition by including the following in your sig:

From August 17 to 24, YWS will be down. See this for more info!

And don't forget to register at the backup site

Are we all possibly characters in someone else's novel?

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm
View Likes
SeleneForeverDream says...

I don't get in trouble at school, but my guess is it would typically be maybe a few days of ISS or OSS, which is Outside School Suspension or In-School Suspension. My guess is here's how it would play out:

Xavier would be taken to the principal's office where he would be reprimanded for laying a hand on another student. No matter how badly they were taunting him, the bullies were using words and not fists, unlike Xavier. He would be reprimanded and his parents would be called in. Then the principal would have a nice, long chat with Xavier's parents, probably discussing the proper punishment with them, and finally his parents would drive him home.

That's my opinion on what would happen, but I don't know for sure. I think the punishments may vary school to school, so you may have to decide one yourself.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:15 pm
View Likes
Merlin34 says...

Another question, about how the sentence is delivered. Doe this sound natural?

"In accordance with school policies," said Mr. Madrikson, "Xavier will be suspended for five days (or whatever number)."
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:18 pm
View Likes
SpencerNolanRivers says...

If something were to happen like that to a school in my district, the punishment would be out of school suspension. The parents might have notification of it by phone, but not before the student actually knows about it. And I don't think the parents will always come to the school to pick up their kid (what if they were at work or something?).
House: People interest me. Conversations don't.
Foreman: Maybe because conversations go both ways.
House & Foreman: Like Thirteen.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 pm
View Likes
ImaginativeInsanity says...

Merlin34 wrote:Another question, about how the sentence is delivered. Doe this sound natural?

"In accordance with school policies," said Mr. Madrikson, "Xavier will be suspended for five days (or whatever number)."

That does sound fairly natural, just make sure Mr. Madrikson doesn't talk like that throughout the entire conference. As much as we hate to admit it, principals are people too. :P This definitely wouldn't be the first time he's had to suspend someone, unless he's new or something.
Please help spread the word about the New YWS Transition by including the following in your sig:

From August 17 to 24, YWS will be down. See this for more info!

And don't forget to register at the backup site

Are we all possibly characters in someone else's novel?

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm
View Likes
vox nihili says...

Suspension, possibly for a year. He would ride home with his parents. He might also be given criminal charges and arrested during or after the act by the school 'resource officer' which is really a policeman assigned to making sure the public schools are safe. He would be probably held under the resource officer's supervision until his parents arrived in time to speak to school administrators about the punnishment and possibly about criminal charges.
I'm going based off of what my school always tells us at the beging of the year about fights and stuff. For refereces in your story, just to let you know, my school calls it their 'zero tollerance pollicy' in context to threats, violence or other serious situations.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll