z

Young Writers Society

Where should they live?

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:11 am
ofir says...

I simply can't decide. I thought at first about North Dakota, but it freaks me out to know there are so many options in there too, and then there's the setting. It can't be humid, and she's in a small town outside of a big town and everything in the USA is so big, so I can hardly decide. Georgrophy was never my best subject, and I mean never, so if anybody can help me out that would be great.
Also, you can write down your own Character's needs, and we'll all try to think together. "The wisdom of the crowd" and stuff, so yeah.
Thanks.
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:35 pm
Carlito says...

What I would do, is set it in the western half of the US because it's not as humid there. Pretty much the Midwest to the East is humid. The western half is just dry.
There are plenty of small towns in the US. :D What I would do, is pick a big city, lets say Pheonix, Arizona. Get a map of Pheonix on the internet or whatever and look for the little towns right outside of it.
Here is a map of the greater Pheonix area. So all of the other bolden names like, Avondale, Sun City, Peoria, Glendale, Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler would all be smaller cities close to Pheonix.
In one of my stories, my MC lives in a small town outside of Malibu, CA. I didn't find an actual town so I just created one. It's fine to do this too.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 pm
ImaginativeInsanity says...

If you prefer to pick a real geographic location, I'd consider making it somewhere you're semi-familiar with. Perhaps pick something in the geographic region in which you live. For example, I live in Texas. If I wanted to write a story and set it in a real town, I'd be more likely to pick something in Texas, or in another area of the South.

This is not always necessary if you do the required research (i.e. Stephenie Meyer) but if you're a stickler for accuracy, it may help. Accents, lifestyles, cultural habits, (etc) are different in different areas of the US. Where they do differ, sometimes they've been stereotyped to the point that someone not from that region may believe some of the common misconceptions about a place.

For example, people in other areas probably think of cowboys, horses, tumbleweeds, and the old west when they think of Texas (which I assure you is entirely false). However, there are certain stereotypes that Texas really is characteristic for, like cowboy hats and pick-up trucks. Figuring out the differences in those subtle little things could affect the accuracy of your story.

Am I making any sense yet?

Sorry for the seemingly endless rambling. I'm not telling you not to pick an area that you don't know much about, I'm just saying that you should be a bit careful in doing so. It may be a bit easier if you don't, but if you do, make sure to do plenty of thorough research. You never know what small things might throw off the accuracy of your story.

As for the humidity issues and the small city outside of a big city, tnme pretty much has it pegged. So if you know of somewhere or have visited somewhere in the areas that she described, you might want to think about using something nearby there.

I hope that made some small bit of sense.
Please help spread the word about the New YWS Transition by including the following in your sig:

From August 17 to 24, YWS will be down. See this for more info!

And don't forget to register at the backup site

Are we all possibly characters in someone else's novel?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:09 pm
sadbhp says...

I dont know much about gfeography. I would suggest make up an address. thats what i do

example 1:
24 Lindrad road,
Pinstran,
Boston,
America

example 2:
09 Hanplars rd,
Henrake,
California,
America

Hope this helped :D

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:53 am
Laina says...

ofir wrote:I simply can't decide. I thought at first about North Dakota, but it freaks me out to know there are so many options in there too, and then there's the setting. It can't be humid, and she's in a small town outside of a big town and everything in the USA is so big, so I can hardly decide. Georgrophy was never my best subject, and I mean never, so if anybody can help me out that would be great.
Also, you can write down your own Character's needs, and we'll all try to think together. "The wisdom of the crowd" and stuff, so yeah.
Thanks.

Sounds like my town. Like where I live. Lol. Aka middle of nowhere Canada. :)

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren